NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to find some clean water, a place to float to accommodate my son, and somewhere far off the beaten tourist path. So off to some new water in central NC watershed that had a fair amount of municipal water supply reservoirs in the watershed to keep the nasty at bay. Jimsnores was today's partner in crime.

Flow was about 88 cfs, a somewhat augmented flow due to the controlled releases upriver. If this river were still free flower, today's flow would have been an even bonier 30 cfs.

Jim scored early with this 18.5 incher

All of my bass came unglued. I was talking to some passers by whilst I was whining about the lack of visible bass, had a taker and lost that one too
All panfish today for me. Had a gar that was trying desperately to eat but I yanked the clouser out of it's nasty ole mouth before it had a chance. Someday I will be prepared and catch one of these on a flyrod.

Hundreds of beds.

A variety of St. Johns Wort.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Where were you able to find such a wonderful place? Reminds me of the water in East Tennessee.
Take a look at the frog's mouth in the the photo where mrpossumtail's son is holding him. He's saying "I ain't opening my mouth". Seriously, though, there are lots of fishable rivers in NC. Watching the gauges online can help you see which ones might be sort of clear when others are not. I had floated a river the previous day with my family (no fishing) which was only about 65 miles from the one mrpossumtail and I floated, and it was up a foot and orange. Rain fell along the Blue Ridge and muddied up everything west and north of me, so we went south.

mrpossumtail has spent countless hours scouting put ins and take outs in NC and VA, and anyone willing to put in the work like he has can find places to fish. If you don't have a yak or canoe, you can find places to wade. The put in and the take out for this float were real bears, so sometimes it takes a little work not only to find places to go, but to get there.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
mrpossumtail has spent countless hours scouting put ins and take outs in NC and VA, and anyone willing to put in the work like he has can find places to fish. If you don't have a yak or canoe, you can find places to wade. The put in and the take out for this float were real bears, so sometimes it takes a little work not only to find places to go, but to get there.
I can attest to this. Some put ins and take outs are downright dangerous. Lots of times though they'll reward you for your hard work and dedication (if you don't break your neck).

·
Registered
704 Posts
True, Jeff, but I love clear water. They were a bit spooky. I only saw two or three decent sized ones cruising, besides the nine I caught. The two biggest were in deep enough water that I couldn't see anywhere near the bottom, and I am thinking they didn't see me. Never have seen so many fish beds. Two or three had large panfish on them until I came close, when they bolted. The big gill in the photo was deep (and took a four inch finesse worm all the way into his mouth).

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The overall outcome probably would have been much better if the following did not happen.

1. I slept through the alarm by nearly 2 hours. We did not get on the water till 10.40

2. I pulled a Mr. Magoo not realizing the bridge I was pacing towards was the wrong bridge. Our bridge was nearly invisible on G maps. We should have fished until six but ended up at the bridge a 4.30. We blew by some very nice holes during the prime part of the day. Jim is such a saint for letting such things slide. I think he could have pulled at least 15 if the day would have went as planned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.