NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I arrive at the boat ramp about 6pm, crappie on my mind, country music playing. But wait, what's this? That's strange, a car parked in the boat ramp, facing down the ramp? Something must have happened I say to myself.

I look for signs of trouble but then I spot him - a guy throwing frisbees to his dogs in the water. "Wow" I say to myself. I should say something - nah it's not a big deal. About that time a boat pulls up to the dock at the other ramp and now I see my fishing time jeopardized.

So I step out of the truck.

"Hey. Hey!"

He looks my way,

"You know the boat ramp is for loading and unloading boats?"

The man turns around to look at the boat ramp, as if seeing it for the first time. Then turns back to me dumbfounded.

"The boat ramp! It's for loading and unloading boats!"

Him: "Really? Er uh.... I just.... I thought it was for throwing frisbees"

"No, actually, the boat ramp is for loading and unloading boats"

You can see the revelation beginning to sink into his cranium. I can't tell if he's really this stupid, or is just being an a**.

Him: "Well, there's two of them!" he says

"Yeah that's so two people can unload at the same time"

Him: "Oh, well..., uh..... yeah"

Now the look of disbelief starts to show just a hint of anger. You can see the new thought working in his mind, "who's this guy, to tell me what I can and can't do at a boat ramp?"

I see the emotion on his face, and not really wanting to escalate the confrontation, I begin retreating to my truck. It's not that big of a deal, and you never know how crazy people are.

"All I'm saying, is it's a boat ramp. For loading and unloading boats"

Him: "Well, uh, ok I guess" starting to look a littler more upset

So I hop in my truck and start putting in the other ramp. Soon after, he gets his dogs and shoots out in a cloud of dust, obviously upset that I disturbed his quality time with his dogs.

Looking forward to fall weather :)

Attachments

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Call the Game Warden, take his picture of the car, license plate and him blocking the ramp. It is illegal to do so.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It's really sad how self centered our society is. The Guy is obviously not a sportsman. Sportsmen have much better attitudes and generally always think of their fellow sportsmen. At least that's the way it should be?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I always use Merry Oaks at Harris, it attracts the country folks from the south and west who have more common sense and courtesy than all the yuppies from the greater Raleigh area.:)

I have the NC Wildlife number in my phone and im not affraid to dial it, or tell someone I am.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I always use Merry Oaks at Harris, it attracts the country folks from the south and west who have more common sense and courtesy than all the yuppies from the greater Raleigh area.:)

I have the NC Wildlife number in my phone and im not affraid to dial it, or tell someone I am.
But in a situation like that, I have to do something for myself. Make the guy realize he is stupid, un thoughtful, dense, etc.
I'd have to start backing the boat down the ramp like I didn't see his car. Maybe even run the skeg across the hood. Minimal, back until the prop overhangs the hood and just lay on the horn nonstop..... That's the Johnston county bred into me. Here's your sign.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My favorite was the time some folks were fishing off of the end of the ramp. I guess they didn't see the signs. My wife was driving the boat and she idled right through all of their lines. I had to take the prop off to make sure the line was not wrapped, but it was hilarious.
I see game wardens and sheriff patrols at boat ramps all of the time. They must spend most of their day telling people to stop swimming and fishing from boat ramps.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My favorite was the time some folks were fishing off of the end of the ramp. I guess they didn't see the signs. My wife was driving the boat and she idled right through all of their lines. I had to take the prop off to make sure the line was not wrapped, but it was hilarious.
I see game wardens and sheriff patrols at boat ramps all of the time. They must spend most of their day telling people to stop swimming and fishing from boat ramps.
I agree. I understand their plight tho, wouldn't be too hard to build a pier/dock for landlubbers. I think they built one at the other Harris ramp...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a boat ramp exactly 1 mile down the road from me, and I often toss bumpers off it for my dog. However, I NEVER park right on the ramp...always in a parking space, and when folks come to load or unload, we back off until they are done. It's a boat ramp first and foremost. Everybody else ought to take second place to that. It is so unfortunate that sportsmens dollars go to pay for these facilities, and gamelands, yet all these folks who ARE NOT sportsmen, and have never contributed a dime to any of it, feel they are entitled to use it as they please, even at the inconvienence of folks that did contribute to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts