NC Angler Forums banner

Just arrived

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  hellomcfly2 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, my wife and I just got into Charlotte last night and are house hunting in the area. Today we looked at homes in Huntersville. We seen some nice homes but we kind of dont like the subdivision or tract homes. We think that we would like something with about an acre of land because we dont want to be on top of our neighbors. So with that in mind my next criteria would be a river/creek that I could drop my canoe into and a lake or lakes to fish with my "future" fishing boat. Any suggestions on where to look? We will be here for 2 more days.

We then head over to Clayton to visit my son and house hunt till next Wenesday. I could use some advice for that area as well. Thanks. ~JOE~

#2 ·
Looking at the map, there appears to be lots of opportunities to the west of Charlotte and the 485 loop and south of I-85 on the Catawba River and Lake Wylie. Looks like a nice variety of coves and inlets there but you'd probably get the search done quicker by contacting a realtor. North of I-85 is the Whitewater Center and I'd stay away from that.

#3 ·
I'm 35 miles north of Charlotte in Statesville. I wouldn't recommend the commute back and forth on I-77. A lot of guys in the Carolina Fly Fishing Club live in the Charlotte Metro area...some around Lake Norman in Mooresville area...Some near Mt. Island Lake. and in SC and S. of Charlotte. You might put the question to them on the club Facebook Page...

#8 ·
No....Badin has become a looong drive now that I am in Sherrills Ford. I will say, that I used to live in Huntersville and liked it but I like living on the west side of Norman much better. With old 16 and the newer hwy 16, getting to and from Charlotte is pretty easy and the traffic is much better there. You can even hit 73 easier from that side of the lake. Mountain Island lake and Wylie are also easier to get to on the 16s.

The land is much less expensive on the west side as well.

I love fishing Lake Norman and am getting to know Mountain Island and Wylie better, too. That said, I still will make a trip to Badin, Tillery or High Rock on occasion, especially if it means getting ready for a tourney.

From the west side of Norman, you also have Lakes Hickory, Rodhiss and James that come into play, and there is some great fishing to be had on those!

I work in Davidson and getting there from Sherrills Ford is not too bad, except that when school is in, you need to add about 15 minutes or so to your commute if you use 150 in and out of Mooresville. Other than that, I stay on the 16s as much as possible.

Reactions: hellomcfly2
#9 ·
Thanks for all the responses so far. I guess I should have added that I won't have a commute because I am now retired so I can live anywhere. I am only staying in Charlotte right now because I didn't know where else to look . I will live anywhere as long as I can get to some decent fishing close by. Plus my fishing would probably be done during the week to avoid weekend crowds and I am an early riser which meansI would be at the lake before the traffic and driving back home mid day.

We are going out again today with a realtor and also will look on our own Saturday. Keep the replies coming I'm all ears, or should I say eyes. ~JOE~

#10 ·
Well, in that case, since you can live anywhere, I would recommend the Statesville area. Great little downtown. Nice parks and greenway. Nice YMCA and new city Fitness and Activity center. 2 hospitals....a 3rd 15 min. away in Mooresville. Nice Community. No traffic. Only 30-40 min. to Winston, Charlotte or Hickory... Lakes Norman and Lookout within 20 min. 1 hour and you can reach quite a few trout streams and the S. Fork of the New River in the mountains. Anywhere South of Mooresville and you have to worry about traffic backups on I-77 etc. And...I know a good realtor in the area... Did I say no traffic....and a pretty decent fly fishing shop and outdoor specialty shop in the heart of downtown. Of course...I could be a little prejudiced.

#11 ·
I would second Richard's take on Statesville, you have access to a lot from there and I've heard it's a nice town to live in.

#12 ·
We looked at some homes yesterday that were on Lake Norman. Very nice but that water is huge. We don't have anything like that here in the midwest. If I end up here it will be a good challenge to learn how to fish this type of water.

We are staying at my sons house now till Wed. We will start our search looking near and around the Falls Lake area. Tomorrow we meet with a realtor and she will show us a number of houses.

I also am considering buying property and building on it. If any one has a quality builder to recommend let me know or any advice for areas to house hunt in this area will also help. Thanks to everyone for your kindness to me. ~JOE~

#16 ·
I don't know anything about Lake Royale, but I agree with Lewisfishing about staying west side of Lake Norman. Even if your hobbies include some hustle and bustle and shopping and whatnot that Charlotte andHuntersville area provide. But Denver area would be my suggestion if you like it quieter, but still like to be within a half hour of good entertainment. You will be within an hour of many lakes, close to the airport, An hour or two from good mountain fishing and scenery, and much more affordable land than east of lake. Also agree with ncfisher and chief that Statesville area is nice too.
good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.