NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has definitely been one of those springs. No matter what I'm not catching fish. I've been out the last couple of days and have nothing to show for it other than one foul hooked crappie. I went out to a local pond today and saw bass all over the banks. I threw dang near everything I have in my fly box at them.... crayfish, hellgrammites, poppers, clousers, low fat minnows. Had one or two takes but they spit it out in the blink of an eye. It's springs like this that make me want to hang it all up.......

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Senko, watermelon red flake or pumpkin seed variations ....wacky. It sit's there and pesters them until they cant stand it.

Reactions: lthrnck03

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I've been thinking about this quite a bit. I generally bank fish or wade smaller ponds and lakes, less than 50 acres. Now I've been fishing since the early 90's, when I was in my teens. I never paid attention to spawning cycles.I didn't have to, I lived in south Florida where bass fishing was always good. This was also before the great Information Age that we live in now. I never had anyone show me anything about fishing. My brother and I just bought some fishing poles and tackle and figured things out. So in truth, I have no idea whether bass are spawning in smaller lakes and ponds or not. So I can't make the appropriate adjustments. Every time I choose a lure, I am completely guessing. A WAG(wild a** guessing) if you will. I have not one confidence lure right now.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A little wind to hide in will help a great deal, when you see the fish, they generally don't hit very well.
Sunset has been the ticket bugging for Bass and Bream the last few weeks for me, earlier in the day has only increased my awareness of pollen....:)

I've been catching fish steady on the last 2 hours of daylight, normally, I have not had much luck outside of that window.

Usually I can fish a popper dropper with the fly rod and pick up fish on and off all day, until mid June. Not this year it seems.

Good luck,

Fishscalz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.