NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping you guys will offer some advice. I am brand new to the world of boating and recently bought a 20' cuddy cabin for some fishing in Cape Hatteras. I've been surf and pier fishing those waters for years but now will try my hand from the boat, (due to the beach closures and to give us some elbow room) My plans are to fish the sound and within a few miles of the beach on calm days and am hoping you guys will point me in the right direction of how to get started.

I plan to bottom fish and troll, most of our trips down there are in the summer months, this year particularly in the middle of June.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
For starters you are going to need you have the right gear. I am not extremely familiar with that area but you will probably need some trolling rods if you plan on trolling. Spanish and bluefish will probably be plentiful in the area so start trolling clark spoons and planners. I'm sure people will be much more helpful but welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Usually a #1-#3 planers are what you'll need for most trolling just off the beach.
You won't need a down rigger unless you want to troll with 5 or more lines in the water. I would imagine with a 20' you will probably stay around 3-4 lines in.
Usually when I troll for mackerel (king and Spanish) I will have a line directly behind the boat about 20-30' back, rig on the surface (flatline) then Ill have a couple with #2 planers one on a downrigger and a couple on #1 or #3 depending what depth the fish are at.
I use clark spoons but more often than not I'll use cigar minnows.
Best thing to get started is to take the NC boater course online, make sure your boat has all CG required stuff (is a little more than a lake), get a SeaTow or Boat tow US membership and get out there and see what catches fish and what doesn't.
If you talk to 50 people about trolling, you'll probably get 25 different answers on what "the best" way to do it is.

Also, I build my own trolling rigs (mainly king rigs) because they can add up especially if you are me and loose a lot of them. You can look up how to make different trolling rigs online.

I have learned the most of what is working best at different times of year by talking to guys that work in local bait/tackle shops by the boat ramps (gigglin' mackerel by ocean isle is great).
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Willie, unfortunately I don't know anyone who has navigated that inlet before. I fully expect some squirrely currents and water depths, kind of assume there will also be heavy boat traffic at times too. Can you offer any advice for a newbie on what to look for and how to approach navigating this area?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would suggest hiring a guide to go out first. You will learn more from a guide in one day then you will all summer by yourself. It will actually save you money and help you find fish a lot sooner.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If your in or near Hattera's inlet- try and be out of the way for the 4-6 pm Hattera's fishing fleet as they come back from offshore as they are running wide open and throwing monsterous wakes. Very few captains will slow down for you and we always take in water over the bow if we're too close to the channel. Its hard to get out of the way at times because there are so many shallow areas. Rig you up some carolina rigs and drift around for flounder with some live bait, rig a tandem bucktail rig and put some cutbait or squid strips and drift as well. Use extreme caution and if you feel uncomfortable- then use your instincts and turn back. Lots of great water to fish without risking anything. OHHHHHH- 1 more important thing- Get SEATOW insurance BEFORE you head out for just in case.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agree with everything above. Also be aware that the ferries run all day in the sound between Hatteras and Ocracoke and the boat traffic can get congested with the ferries, charter fleet, and the other regular boaters out there.
The spanish should be biting well very soon, cobia are there now. Later in the summer you can catch dolphin just outside of the sea buoy. My brother and I may have caught dolphin inside the sea buoy back when we were in high school...definitely within a mile or two of the beach.
There's good clamming in the sound which is a lot of fun, especially for the kids.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This board is excellent

I appreciate all of the advice and knowledge being shared. Clamming is definitely an interest to us as this is always a family vacation for us and the kids love playing around in the sound. I have been looking at different sites to get a feel for what to target while we're there in mid June and I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that we can get into some dolphin within a few miles of shore. Spanish are a must and I would love to hook a cobia or two as I've never caught one. We'll be spending a fair amount of our time on the sound side no doubt but am eager for the chance to head oceanside when the weather allows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. I've been looking into Towboat and Sea Tow and am trying to figure out which one to go with. Another of the responses recommended the same thing. It was one of those moments when I smack myself that I hadn't thought about looking into a AAA for the water.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Iv been looking into boats lately being so close to the cost. Id like to do some inshore/nearshore stuff. Im less than 1-1/2 hours away from Oregon Inlet but I keep hearing horror stories about going in and out of that place.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Iv been looking into boats lately being so close to the cost. Id like to do some inshore/nearshore stuff. Im less than 1-1/2 hours away from Oregon Inlet but I keep hearing horror stories about going in and out of that place.
It's an everchanging inlet...with sandbars throughout. The wind and tide can make it a real bear. Watch the weather, don't go when it's bad, and be careful.
Where you are, Rudee Inlet in Va Beach is not too much further, and it's a walk in the park blindfolded compared to Hatteras or Oregon Inlet. Good fishing up there too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.