NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

I just upgraded from my old trusty canoe to a new 19 Ft bay boat. Been out on New River a couple times this week just getting used to operating it and doing some exploring.

Was wondering if anyone had any tips for locations around the New River area for Specks, Flounder, or Red Drum. Should I be further inland around some of the small creeks for this time of year or closer to the inlet?

Also was wondering if anyone that has a bay boat has ever taken it out past the inlets before. Not really sure about doing it yet with my seamanship experience but wondering if the capability is there.

Appreciate any suggestions or tips.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The creeks that feed into the New River hold lots of fish this time of year. Right now you should be able to catch Specks at the mouth of these creeks -try Southwest creek and French's creek. The headwaters of those same creeks are good places to look for Reds about now. Right now your best bet for flounder is around the inlet. Keep in mind as the water warms the fish will move a bit.

As to the bay boat - not knowing the brand or features of the boat let me answer this way - In any flat bottom or modified V hull boat you will want to pick your days - a calm day and staying close to shore may be fine in many of the bay boats. Do you have a self-bailing cockit? Without one, I personally wouldn't go out of the inlet - too easy to get swamped. If you do venture out be sure to go with or follow someone who knows New River inlet the first few times you go out. They just dredged it but it can still be kind of tricky.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I will definitely be heeding yalls advice. Any suggestions about VHF radios?

We just got back home from the water. Other than some strong winds from the south it really turned out to be a great day. Learned a good lesson about not using the LZ Bluebird Boat Launch on Camp Lejuene when there is a strong southerly wind, especially with me being a novice on trailering a boat still, got a tiny ding on the hull to prove that one. Just going to have to spend some more time on the water to get better at operating the boat.

We moved from the bay at LZ Bluebird to the ICW and went down to just south of Shells Landing, tooled around in some of the shallows there leading to Bear Island with the trolling motor in which my wife called it "Troll Motor training", then headed back. Did get a lot of hits on the fishfinder for that area, and see alot of birds hitting the water in that area. Didn't get the chance to do any fishing since we had family with us, but was dieing to do some casts back around those shallows near bear island and the ICW.

The boat that I have is a White/Ice Blue 2007 Sea Pro 1900sv (19.6 Ft), modified V, witht a 115 Mercury Four Stroke. I'll have to take a picture and put it on the Members Boat Forum. We still deliberating about a name. The wife wants to call it "baby girl" since we already have two girls. I think I will get hazed by the buds if call it that though.

Thanks again everyone for the replies. I will post more on fishing here in the future I am avid shrimping and fishing fan.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I'll second the Icom, love mine and it's been a great unit.
For handheld VHF's, I've had several Unidens and they all worked great as well.
I have a Uniden for my ditch bag and Icom for my main radio.

Your radio like Mike mentioned, is only as good as your antenna.. so it really does matter that you spend a little extra as you will get what you pay for. Get the best antenna you can.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Nope, dont need any booster as most boating VHF's have 25 watt capable output (usually 1 watt low/ 25 for high switchable).

VHF works on line of sight, so whatever antenna ya get, you want it as straight up and down as possible and as high as feasible as you can get. The higher it is,, the further you can reach or be reached.

Key is, get the best antenna you can. Make solid connections as waterproof as possible, and seein that your inshore/near shore, I'd go with a 3 or 6 db gain antenna

3 db gain is for a better word, omni directional
6 db gain has some omni directional charactoristics, but sends/receives a bit more directed signals
9 db gain is pretty direct meaning it can transmit/receive weak signals better at longer distances,, but the down-fall of a 9 db gain antenna is, it cant be pitching or yawing for it to do it's job as well.

When your out in the soup... a 3 or 6 db gain antenna would be a good choice

Just cough up a few extra $$ and get a good antenna... you wont regret it.

And one last thing to add... DO NOT get an antenna with a nylon ferrule mount... they will crack and dont hold up as good as a brass or stainless mounting base.

Hope that helps! ;)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
How about Stryker Five... for a name.

My first was Therapy I....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wellcraft Dave, thats some terrific gouge, thanks man.

Sundrop, already tried momma on that name, she didn't bite. Glad to see someone else agreed with me though.

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions and advice. It really helps out.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Ok "Family Way" Mama will like that one..

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Strykerfive,

Here's a couple links that break it all down for ya when you get a chance.

BoatUS BoatTECH Guides: VHF Radios

Can You Hear Me? this simulator is really a neat idea!! let's you control a "virtual" radio right here on the computer, check it out!

Free MMSI registration for DSC capable radio, which really is the way to go now days.
MMSI Registration for VHF/DSC

This link here pretty much sum's everything up:
VHF Radio FAQ

And lastly have to throw in this one for ya.. Not saying to buy a Shakespear antenna, but I have two on my current boat and my last 3 boats have had Shakespear's,, but there's many flavors out there and here's a helpfull link from shakespear website:
Shakespeare Electronic Products Group: Frequently Asked Questions

Best of luck and chat it up, hopefully that saved you a bit of leg work on the internet researchin' ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
About taking that boat of yours out the inlet - I've got a Triumph 19 Bay and I've had it 20 miles out, from Cape Cod through Cape Lookout. As mentioned above - pick your days carefully. I read once that you should have calm water the day before you go out - and the day after (according to NOAA). The key of course is use common sense (I never go out alone for example, and always have a back up GPS, paddles, batteries, water, etc.). Ditch bag is a must, and always wear your PFD.

I've found the bay boats quite versatile; especially for this area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.