NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get into kayak fishing… I think.

I'm looking to buy something used to try out, I was wondering what size I should be looking for. I am 6'2", weigh about 170. My balance is decent, but I need something stable

I'll be keeping that kayak at my parents place on the Pamlico River, so transport is not really an issue. I plan to fish creeks and the river itself. How long of a boat should I get?

Are there any particular brands that are better for a entry-level boat? Are there any I should avoid?

I'll be looking at this site, nckfa, craigslist, and other places for a good used boat and would like to secure something for the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
There are a couple boats made on the mold from the original Tarpon 120. West Marine Pompano is one and Perception Sport has one also. Catch those boats on sale and you've got a nice fishing setup for not much money. The Pompano was $399 this Spring. Probably go back on sale around Labor Day.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm 6'4 and I have a ocean kayak big game prowler its 13.5 ' and it works great I've even stood up in it once . I live in the mts. And used it on lakes and rivers and have made it 1+ miles off shore and its been great no problems

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. Its an awesome boat and very stable. Not a boat to stand in but its perfect for any body of water whether small streams or open ocean. Its a 12' kayak. I am hearing that alot of guys are selling or trading their Wilderness Systems Ride 135's to purchase the new ATAK 140 by Wilderness. If that is so, look for the Ride 135 used and its an awesome boat that is 13'5" and you can stand in it. A good used kayak is better than a new cheap one I think. Just my opinion. Some of the cheaper kayaks are poor designed as far as where the scuppers are located and the seats they use which are uncomfortable. Comfort is a priority in a kayak. You want a kayak you can fish on all not an hour or so then you are hurting all over from the pain of being uncomfortable. I know you say you "think" you want to get into it.....if you try it you will be hooked so I say go ahead and buy a new one and rig it your way. But before you buy any, go to a demo and paddle all the models that you're interested in. Length I would say 12' and up for you. Wilderness Systems has some awesome models out there such as Tarpon 120 , 140 and next year the Tarpon 130x. Also the Ride 135 and of course the ATAK 140. Then there are your pedal drives Native Slayer Propel , Hobie Pro Angler and these get a little expensive. Good luck to you and keep researching before you buy!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with Gripa...I bought a used Hobie with Mirage drive, and I'm fishing while my buddies are paddling. If you plan on fishing in the ocean, it will get you back to shore when the wind is working against you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
He's looking entry level.... If you don't know if you want to get into the sport or not, then he'd be foolish to spend the money on a pedal kayak.

I wouldn't recommend anything you'd have to pay much more than $500 used if he's just getting into sport to see if he likes it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm sure that pedaling is better, but I don't know if I like kayak fishing yet. I'm looking for a decent used yak to beta test my enjoyment. I can upgrade at a later date.

Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can always go and rent one for a few trips. Not sure where you live, but I'm in the process of taking a few different trips down the new river in NC and VA. Might be useful to try and see before spending more than $20-$30. There are plenty of people on here who can recommend a bunch of different outfitters.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure that pedaling is better, but I don't know if I like kayak fishing yet. I'm looking for a decent used yak to beta test my enjoyment. I can upgrade at a later date.

Thanks for all the replies

I'm in the process of looking to get a new shallow water vessel as well. I don't say kayak here cause there are some canoes that may just fit the bill as good if not better than the kayaks out there. I don't have any experience with pedal kayaks, but I wouldn't say they were better, I would say they may be more convenient or better at doing a specific task, and paddle yaks are better at some things as well, but each system has it's place. If you're doing mostly open water then one system may be an obvious choice, if you're doing river floats then another system would be the one to go with. The expense of the pedal systems is to me, insurmountable as I purchased my boat, motor, and trailer for just a little more.

Anyway, come to a Meet and Greet and you'll be able to try out a bunch for free and talk to the owners about their likes and dislikes. Bay River M&G is next month, there will be plenty of anglers bringing their kayaks.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
If you can get to Greensboro on Saturday, Get Outdoors is having a kayak demo day on Lake Higgins. Last one of the year, you can try on a dozen different kayaks and find one you like.

Reactions: dbeam and GripaLip

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok so Ill give you my story as i think we were in similar situations....... i was planning on building and tricking out a jonboat (add floors, electronics, crap loads of thrust power etc.) While I was investigating what I wanted to do I came across some info about kayak fishing. Never did it, never thought about, actually kind of laughed at the thought .... The more I looked, the more I liked (the look of it) ... Now I did buy a bit more expensive paddle yak but that doesn't really matter except for the extras..... I spent a year with that yak and really found out that I was fishing 15% of the time and maneuvering 85% of the time...... Not talking about the actual paddle out (I enjoyed that) it was the point that I was trying to fish made me want to break rods ..... I was getting ready to give it up and go back to the jonboat idea..... I decided to try out a Slayer Propel just to see if it was that much different and let me tell you NIGHT and DAY ............ I know you don't want to spend a lot but I also wouldn't want you to judge kayak fishing without trying different options (like I did) ...... Maybe borrow a yak for a few trips and if you want to try out a pedal, let me know and Ill gladly let you take it for a spin............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Went to the demo day that Get Outdoors in Greensboro was having today. I paddled the Wilderness Systems ATAK 140 for the first time today. Awesome awesome kayak!! Paddled into a head wind with the seat in the high position and it cut through the wind very well. Stood up and paddled in a standing position with EASE!!! Superior kayak that is super stable and fast also once you get it up to speed. I will be adding one to my fleet!! Little on the high price end for someone just looking for something entry level to try out, but once you paddle it, it's well worth it!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
kyack advice

Went to the demo day that Get Outdoors in Greensboro was having today. I paddled the Wilderness Systems ATAK 140 for the first time today. Awesome awesome kayak!! Paddled into a head wind with the seat in the high position and it cut through the wind very well. Stood up and paddled in a standing position with EASE!!! Superior kayak that is super stable and fast also once you get it up to speed. I will be adding one to my fleet!! Little on the high price end for someone just looking for something entry level to try out, but once you paddle it, it's well worth it!!!
well i had a yak but couldn`t stand up in it i went to DICK`S and got a 13 ft. canoe a WASATCH BY EMOTION it`s almost 40 in. wide and standing is soooo easy and it is only $ 299.00might be cheaper now at end of yr.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I paddled the atak in June... Liked it... Not enough to buy one, as I have a kayak that does exactly the same thing already, but it's a nice kayak.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow,,just got back to this thread. Thanks for all the info everyone.

I'm gonna figure out a way to try kayak fishing before I buy something- maybe arrange a rental. Ive got access to a place in Emerald Isle- I think I may line up island man for a trip this fall- the more I think on that, the better it sounds. I'd get a chance to try out yak fishing- and hopefully even catch something.

I'm located I winterville/ Greenville, Shakespeare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.