NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't use an anchor that much (in large part it was the hassle... as I didn't have a very organized setup). I finally got things properly sorted, and thought I'd share.

My setup consists of:
- 1.5lb folding grapnel anchor (note: the 3lb version should work with this setup as well)
- 1ft of chain (for holding the anchor parallel to the bottom... to help it grab better)
- A length of rope + carabiner (to run through my kayak's anchor trolley)
- Big black 'pill' made from PVC... which holds all of the above
- Marker buoy
- Dive reel (4-inch diameter) with 290ft of cord. I also marked the cord at regular intervals (to measure length).

The photos attached show:
1) All components packed up neatly (soda can is for scale)
2) All components clipped together (this is how I'll stow when not in use... if I tip... it'll float!)
3) This is the 'pill' made from 3.5" PVC and end caps. One end is glued, other is removable (which is tethered to body of the pill, so I don't lose it). I stuffed some noodle foam in it so it won't rattle... and it floats when empty!
4) Pill lid off and anchor / chain / rope removed
5) This is how it'll deploy. Anchor to chain to cord to dive real... which clips to rope (rope runs through anchor trolly and can be released quickly if needed)... buoy keeps it afloat if I have to release from kayak.
6) This last pic shows the PVC I used before cutting / painting... also shown is the length of chain (from Home Depot... was $2 or $3).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I use a 5 lb dumbell and a spool of small rope from wal mart. I have another 5 lb dumbell with a big float I use for big drum so I can release it. The nice thing about the dumbell is that it doesn't have to hang anything. It's heavy enough on its own to hold you in place. Even in pretty swift current.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice ideas. I use a 5 lb maul head. Seen guys take a 10 lb dumb bell and cut it in half, tap the handle and screw in an eye bolt. Had lots of snags on the grapnel. Good luck

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great idea using the dive reel. I use a Bruce Claw anchor with a zip tie break away so if it gets hung I can get it back easily. The Bruce Claw holds even in very strong wind. Hook Line and Paddle in Wilmington will set it up that way if you buy it from them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.