NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to kayak fishing and I have no idea where to start. I have some rod holders mounted but I don't know what necessities I need for the Lake. I know I need leashes but I don't know what to make them with or where to buy them. If any of you have any suggestions that would be great.
-Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Welcome to the site...I am sure you will get some good answers here, but also try doing a search on beginning kayaking. There is a great deal of info on here already, too!

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey welcome to the site. As it was already mentioned, do a search in the kayak fishing forum for the information as you certainly not the first person to post on that subject. Lots and lots of things that are common sense to have and others are for your comfort. I am fairly new to kayak fishing as well and here are the things you should definitely have for any body of water:
Fishing license, whistle, a good PFD, paddle with leash, first aid kit, a set of dry clothes in a dry bag, & toilet paper (in ziplock bag).
Some would add these things: anchor trolley, anchor w/float, stake out poles, milk crate for mounting and holding your tackle/cooler, fish finder, marker flag.
It also really depends on the type of fishing but it's always best to be prepared to flip you kayak rather than wishing you had planned after you went into the water.
Be sure to follow this link and go through the first post regarding fishing kayak setups http://www.ncangler.com/forums/forums/56-Kayak-Fishing
It's all a personal choice on how simple or how elaborate you wish your fishing machine to be. Good luck!

John

·
Registered
239 Posts
you can make some leashes with old cell phone charger cord,zip ties, and various clips.
just remember if you go on salt water things get rusty quick.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Fishing_RN hit the bare minimums for safety. I'll touch on rigging for a second.

First up, go fishing. A couple plano boxes tucked behind you or around your legs and a rod or two. Get some fish in the boat and enjoy yourself. If you need a little more boat control you've got plenty of options from poles, to chains, to anchors, to chutes, and as many different ways to rig them. Which one you want depends entirely on you and your style of fishing. You might decide you need an additional rod holder in front of you. You might want a place to hold a bait bucket or fish cooler. You might stare down into that dark empty 90% of the lake and wish you knew what was there and rig up a fish finder. Only you know what your kayak needs to make you a more efficient kayak angler. I know what I consider the minimum to be successful would be overkill for a minimalist guy rocking 1 rod and 1 tackle box in a sit-in but I'm still nowhere close to the guy with a command post sticking out of his 14ft Hobie Extreme Pro Fish Assassin 9000. Look around at what other people have done and when you run into a problem check out the kayak rigging thread or do a quick google search and you'll come up with a couple different solutions.

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
read the kayak set-up page http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/42560-Show-us-your-fishing-kayak-setup keep it simple to start and add as you see the need. PVC pipe, is your friend. I have rigged out a few yaks feel free to ask any questions that come up again as you see what you need. most of the time rod floats and a pool noodle on the paddle will work instead of leashes and not be as apt to tangle.

Darrell

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Everyone is different and I learned what I needed as I went. The more I used my kayak the more I realized I didn't need a fraction of the stuff some guys take along. Keep your safety gear at the top of the list and you'll figure the rest out as you go. Good luck.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
151 Posts
All good tips.
I'll stick with the safety aspect. Been yak fishing for over 16 yrs. Salt and fresh.
The first thing one needs to do after spending a day JUST paddling, no fishing.
Tip it over in a "safe" area. Can you get back in? If not, ya gotta learn. Have someone teach you if you need to.

Ya cannot get caught up in the mindset, "I'll never go when it's rough", "I'll always stay in shallow areas", etc. You have to be able to get back in.
Then try a self rescue with some waves mixed in.

I used to have a pool and would get folks together and see what happens. Another eye opener? Tip that rig over rigged out for fishing and see how that changes everything. Can you still get back in with that mess all over the place?
Yak fishing is the best. Great fun, but one cannot overlook or take lightly the inherent risks involved.
Now you can go fishing.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I just started kayaking this year myself..and I love it ;-)
Im big on safety myself and always try to eliminate/prevent potential danger if possible and by taking proper safety measures it can be achieved..
I was looking at the paddle leash and rod leashes with the Velcro and thought they were too expensive and that I can accomplish the same by using a string or rope right..so I did this the first few outings and this Saturday I realized that it was so unsafe..heres why..I had a thick piece of white twine like they use to tie down Christmas trees..well I tied one end to the front of the yak and the other end to my paddle..worked out fine until Saturday I was fishing in the pond by myself and I was fishing a blown down tree that drops down into about 10 ft of water..I got snagged on a tip of the laydown and pulled myself in the yak into the center of the sunken tree..when I did that I was moving a bit fast and I bumped a thick part of the tree sticking out of the water and it actually almost caused me tip but I didn't..I looked at my boot and the white string wasn't tangled but laying all around my boot..I thought to myself if I were to flip with that string wrapped around my boot or leg im going to be in big trouble..I immediately cut the string off with no plans of reusing it..Id rather lose a paddle than my life..Im going to buy one of the velcro leashes I was avoiding..for one theyre short and wont wrap around your leg but also the Velcro is like a quick release..

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
I just started kayak fishing this spring and I like the KISS principle of it. I kept a bare kayak at first before realizing where or how I wanted my rod holders mounted. After a few trips and confidence in my paddling abilities I was able to confidently decide what fit me best. Good luck, have fun, and most if all stay safe.

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
You didn't say were our at or what your primary target fish will be, but if your anywhere close to Hickory I would be happy to meet you somewhere and let you try some things I have set up before you decide for yourself.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
All good tips.
I'll stick with the safety aspect. Been yak fishing for over 16 yrs. Salt and fresh.
The first thing one needs to do after spending a day JUST paddling, no fishing.
Tip it over in a "safe" area. Can you get back in? If not, ya gotta learn. Have someone teach you if you need to.

Ya cannot get caught up in the mindset, "I'll never go when it's rough", "I'll always stay in shallow areas", etc. You have to be able to get back in.
Then try a self rescue with some waves mixed in.

I used to have a pool and would get folks together and see what happens. Another eye opener? Tip that rig over rigged out for fishing and see how that changes everything. Can you still get back in with that mess all over the place?
Yak fishing is the best. Great fun, but one cannot overlook or take lightly the inherent risks involved.
Now you can go fishing.
Everyone should take a few simple classes.
I took them years ago when I canoed from Raleigh to the coast on the Neuse.
I had been paddling since I could hold a paddle and those classes greatly benefited me.

Next on the list. Get fitted for a paddle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts