NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my 4mm Okoume arrived. Beautiful plywood....and thin.
So I got my plywood stored in my plywood rack to keep it flat. Now for the shipping pallet. 2 nice 2x4's and a sheet of 3/4 luan. Nice dense wood.
I'll use the luan for building saw and router fixtures.

Some of you have expressed some interest in seeing some of this in person.
Get ready. I'll probably be stitching not this weekend but next.
Refrigerator and freezer are on site, the bathroom is huge, pick a tree.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I would love to learn some boat building basics.. And get better at my fiberglass skills as well.

Reactions: Drum Runner

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I will be headed down to the beach on that Sunday (22nd). We are going in two vehicles (family of 6, taking lots of toys) so I might be able to swing by. I will be picking up a couple of pieces of 4mm meranti in Beaufort while down there to start mine after I get back. It would be nice to see what you are doing. I will be going at it slower. The deck and frames will be 3mm okoume I'll get in Gibsonville in July or August.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saturday I took my patterns and some Scotch brand double sided tape and went to work.
First I laid my patterns on the plywood like the nesting drawing suggests.

Traced them with a pencil and then rough cut them. Just saw halfway between the parts basically. Took the rough cut piece and taped it to the pattern and whipped out the Bosch palm router and wallah....Perfect part and my eyes aren't crossed and my back and neck aren't sore.
Didn't take long to chew up 2 sheets of plywood.

Father's day I started assembling the cockpit framework which is also used for stitching the boat together.
I can't stitch anything until my Behlen Solar Lux stain gets here.
It's an alcohol based stain that dries fast and also is resistant to UV fading.

I'll see if I can get a few pictures loaded before work.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few pictures. Cockpit frame work, side panels, Cleats attached to cockpit frame work.
You see folks that will epoxy these cleats to parts and put bricks or whatever else they can on it.

I don't do that. I put the epoxy glue on it, brad nail it, and move on. Either way works. Brad nailing is much quicker and more accurate. I just can't be a stitch and glue purist and claim there is no nails in my boat. Little bitty tiny totally encapsulated ones.

The 3rd picture is all the hull panels minus the bottom panels. About 10 pounds of Okoume total. Not bad for a 15' kayak.

Outside and top panels will be stained Medium Red Mahogany. Cockpit and tankwell sole and sides will be stained Golden Fruit Wood.
2 tone yak.
Inner areas that are accessible for storage will be coated with white tinted epoxy. Basically a white epoxy paint. Makes them easier to see in in any light condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be headed down to the beach on that Sunday (22nd). We are going in two vehicles (family of 6, taking lots of toys) so I might be able to swing by. I will be picking up a couple of pieces of 4mm meranti in Beaufort while down there to start mine after I get back. It would be nice to see what you are doing. I will be going at it slower. The deck and frames will be 3mm okoume I'll get in Gibsonville in July or August.

Yall are welcome to stop by. The problem with working with plywood below 1/4" in thickness is that it's only 3 plies and those plies are rarely equal in thickness even in a 1088 Okoume. The result is warping. It's a challenge at times. I think humidity plays a big part in it but I have some frames I will have to re-cut because the warp is so bad. The hull panels? Flat as a pancake, no warp. It's one reason I ordered an extra sheet of plywood.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
It's looking real nice DR!

Reactions: Drum Runner

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's looking real nice DR!
Probably looks like a rats nest this morning.
Had to work quick gluing the cockpit framing together at 4 this morning. A lot of little pieces to glue while holding a cup of epoxy that is just dying to kick.
That's what God made sharp chisels for. Cleaning up cured epoxy.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The results of my midnight to 4 am session. The cockpit framing.
The "wings" with blue tape will be cut off flush with the cockpit after the hull is made. They are there only to shape the hull panels. Or I could leave them as bulkheads for a water tight compartment for flotation. The second picture you get an idea of the thickness of 4mm plywood. Those battens are 1/2" x 3/4" inch clear stock.

The front section that is sloped and held together with the 1 x 8 will also be cut off. It's purpose now is to shape the front of the drop in cockpit. To get the correct angle that leads up to the front deck.
This morning at 10 the epoxy was set, but not cured. Once cured, I can put a sander on it and clean it up.

Don't be deceived, this is only about 8 feet of a 15 foot kayak. The cockpit and tank well.

None of this has been difficult. Probably wouldn't recommend it for a beginner unless you are pretty adept at reading CAD drawings and have some woodworking knowledge. Having said that...Beginners have built them.
You don't need a shop full of tools, but if you do it goes quicker and easier.

Tools I have been using.
Razor knife
Japanese trim saw
Band saw
Air compressor and brad gun
Cordless drill
Full size router
Trim router (palm router)
Saber saw
And various other hand tools and clamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the cockpit stitched and tack welded together. When it cures hard, I'll cut the stitches and tie the tack welds together with glue lines. Round the corners on the bottom of the cockpit and fiberglass the outside in one shot.
Color is golden fruitwood.
By the way, the cockpit is assembled on the 8 foot frame pictured earlier. It becomes sort of a basket mold. The photos don't show the curvature in the side panels. The frame work helps achieve the proper curve in the panels.

If you want to stain your wood, you have to do it before assembly and "set" the color with a coat of epoxy.

The tank well assembly is next. Pretty much the same thing but much smaller, less complex shape.
I have 2 or 3 things going on at the same time. The others are just prep for future assembly. Not much to see unless you were standing there.

This construction is almost like building inner and outer hulls and putting them together.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I will be paying 41 a sheet for meranti. I am planning to get 3mm okoume for about the same price for deck and frames.

Sent from my phone with TapaTalk

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd sell Okoume all day long for 55 a sheet, make enough to cover my shipping expenses, and still have a little for a drink and nab. I know I can buy it for 40 a sheet.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Well, I stopped over at AV Mill outlet in Beaufort this morning, planning to get 2 sheets of 4mm meranti at $41 sheet. But I changed my mind when I saw a special posted; seems they are liquidating stock from one supplier. I got 4 sheets of 4mm okoume, enough to do the whole boat, for $22.50 a sheet. I walked out of there with all the ply needed for my plan for under $100. Booya!! :)

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Good deal if it don't curl up like a tater chip.
You're just a little ray of sunshine. ;) It's the good stuff, but they are dropping that supplier. Something to do with their parent company and Jobert, who will be their only supplier of okoume going forward. They had 39 more sheets of it left after I got 4. Odd little hole in the wall outlet; a small warehouse in front of a big woodyard. One guy behind the counter who also drives the forklift to go get your wood.

1 - 20 of 303 Posts