NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

<< Thumbnail should link to album.

I got this design online... and chose it for its simplicity and structural rigidity (the cross-member and axle form a nice solid box). I suspect this topic may have been beaten to death, but I'm new to the forum, so forgive me. I've used this cart for a year now, and it has held up well. Boat is a Riot Edge 13. Here is a parts list and brief description of the building process for those interested.

All PVC is schedule 40 1.25"
~6ft PVC
x1
PVC Teex4
PVC Capx6
Hollow Al rod (axle)x1
Cotter pinx2
Foam noodlex1
Eye boltx2
Wing nutx2
Wheelsx2
PVC cementx1

Cut PVC and foam to desired lengths (I did not specify, as this can vary based on the kayak). Note: The holes in the foam are too small to accomodate the PVC. A trick I learned (thanks Youtube) is to use the rough end of a hand cut piece of PVC as a bore... and drill out a larger hole through the foam. This is done by hand, and takes less than a minute per piece.

Test fit pieces, then drill holes for the axle and the eye bolts (note: the eye bolts are only shown in the one picture with the kayak attached to the cart... I added them after I took the first set of pics). Cut axle to length and drill holes at either end for the cotter pins. Test fit all pieces.

Disassemble then cement appropriate surfaces and assemble (don't accidentally cement the pieces you want to be removable!).

My kayak is pretty shallow, so to stow the cart in the stern hatch, I remove the eye bolts and foam-covered arms, as well as one wheel.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Brilliant! Mr Darrell Beam has some competition as the PVC Meistro!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
149 Posts
Having blown out one tube already I recommend really considering where you'll be dragging your kayak when you pick wheels. I'm glad my cart came with big tubed inflatable wheels for some hilly, rocky, root covered drags I've done through the woods. Shouldn't be to hard to scavenge or find replacement wheels for a yard wagon.

Great DIY cart. The savings vs buying one off the shelf is well worth the time. Just curious how much the materials cost?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I use C-tug....Super burly....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I just built one similar with inflatable tires. Goes into my scupper holes no strap needed took about 20 minutes to make. I used 3/4 PVC due to 1in scuppers. But would recommend doing bigger for the base if I did it again. It flexes a little over bumps and logs. Real test will be a long walk through the woods

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
I really like the design with the PVC cross piece you take a lot of direct pressure off of the axle. it could be adapted easily for scupper holes as well. Nice job!

Good tip on opening up the noodle

Darrell

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cost was maybe $40 (cannot remember exactly)... That includes PVC cement, as I had none. The largest expense was the set of wheels. I bought them new (yes, they are lawn mower wheels).

I suggest finding some used wheels to save $$... that'd bring the cost down maybe $20 or so. Also, as suggested, you may want larger pneumatic tires.

I bought everything at Home Depot. Wheels were in the garden section and the hollow Al axle was near hardware (they have a bin of metal stock rods, etc.). Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts