NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic is like beating a dead horse but its a challenging problem of how to keep fish all day long from a yak in the summer. I think I might get one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Horde-...qid=1399257474&sr=8-2&keywords=kayak+fish+bag It has good reviews, a decent price, is large enough to keep anything I will be catching inshore. It should fit in the hull of my Trident 13 and I will access it through the rod pod.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That one isn't insulated. Its mainly for storing a live tournament catch while you weigh in rather than keeping dead fish cold for a long time.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Sam's club has one that is insulated for less than $10 I think. I have some of those that I use. Not as wide as the ones in your link, but I think an upper slot sized drum would fit. I like the older ones better than the newer ones. They had an outside shell of nylon. The new ones still should be OK.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
That is an excellent price. I have seen similar fish bags for a lot more. Sometimes you can find tall insulated cooler bags that are sort of back packs on eBay or other places at a good price. Those can work pretty well because they have good attachment points and open at the top, so if you lay it on the deck with what would be the top facing you, you can slip fish in. But it's hard to find them bigger than 24" or so.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have seen the seattle sports 20 Catch cooler (topside bow mount) for around $50. been thinking of pulling the trigger on that one because it wont take up any of the limited cargo space (camp gear etc.)

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-setkcb/seattle-sports-kayak-catch-cooler-20l-bag
That is a very nice bag, but the 20 might not be the one you want:

• Comes in Two Sizes
  • Cooler 20 Measures 5 in. x 13 in. x 9 in.x 20 in. (12.7 x 33 x 22.9 x 50.8 cm.)
  • Cooler 36 Measures 5 in.x 13 in. x 9 in. x 36 in. (12.7 x 33 x 22.9 x 91.4 cm.)
If you are going to paddle BTB for kings, I think you want the bigger one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My only concern would be do these bags/coolers keep cool long enough? Often times after a long day on the river in direct sunlight, all the ice in the cooler(small playmate) has melted and I've just got warm water. To be honest this is never a problem because I never catch anything worth keeping.

I'd be interested in getting one to put on my bow where my bungees are, similar to the surftosummit one OptiMystic posted. Anyone have any reviews for any similar fish bags? I'm hesitant to trust product reviews from their own websites, very easy for someone to dilute a bad rating.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've got the Catch 20 bag that Gremlin posted. It's a good bag and stays fairly cold. It's got the reflective silver on it and I believe that helps. One thing I really like about it is it has a lined bag that the fish goes in and you pull that out and dont have to remove the outside cooler bag if you have it tied down and keeps the fish slime contained. I've had it out all day in the sun and had ice when I got in. It's only 20"s long but I've had upper slot drum crammed into it on many occassions. It's getting pretty worn now after year 3 and the zippers are messing up but I've used it a lot and it's pretty much always been in saltwater conditions.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That works and is what I use (til I get that bag I ordered a few days ago.) but when the water temp is 85 and you have to paddle 3 miles back to the truck after you've been out for 6 or 7 hours I would rather have my catch on ice...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts