NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I am new to kayak fishing and hoping to learn and pick up on some tips from the members of this site.

I have fished freemans creek a couple of times and have caught some small blue using finger mullet that I caught myself.

Across from freemans creek I can see Browns island and it is very tempting to paddle over and try fishing there. From sattelite photos it appears that the inlet is shallow:) and sandy, what are the currents like since I cannot use my anchor?

I will be fishing on the inshore side and once my skills improve and confidence level goes up I will venture out to the open water.

Texas Tarheel Angler

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had a 17' bayliner that I use to fish in Brown's Inlet with. The north side of the island is really shallow especially at low tide, i wasn't able to get my boat through but the south side of the island has a deep channel that runs along the southern bank all the way to the inlet. That current is extremely strong though. In between tides it's pretty calm but when that tide starts coming in or going out even an anchor wouldn't hold very well (this was before I knew about the no anchor rule).

I have had very good luck there though. I would catch tons of bait fish, croakers and flounder and caught quite a few 4' black nose sharks there. Also hooked up on a 4' 1/2 wide stingray there. Lots of action and really fun.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree about the current in that spot, I have not been in that hole for a couple of years but used to go there quite a bit. I had a 16' JonBoat at that time and when the tide was coming in or going out, it was very tricky around the mouth of the inlet. Be careful..... also ..lots of unexploded stuff on the bottom, and on the surf .... from what we heard at the time..... but that's just hear say. I can't say for sure about the explosives.... I did hear that the Marines had closed it off from the public last year.... I think?? Better check to make sure, you can call Camp Lejune.... to make sure that they aren't firing while your there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There's also I sign with some flashing lights that will go off on the way there from the north that will let you know if they are doing any live firing. There is also a radio station you can tune into to find out the same info on the firing.

I thought I heard something about Lejeune searching that area for live ordenance last year but I could be mistaken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.