NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentleman, New here. But not new to the kayak scene. Anyway, there's a strong possiblity that I may be coming into your area to visit my parents in Wilmington the 2nd week of June. Originally I had a kayak striper trip to Cape Cod planned. Plans fell through. I still have Stripers on the brain. Well some of you may have seen a recent Kayak TV w/ Jim Sammons. He was catching stripers in NC! Right away my brain started clicking. Visit Dad + fish for stripers! Well I just wanted to know if it is feasible to fish/catch stripers from a kayak in June. My research says New Bern is the place to go when the bite is on but I'm unsure of the timing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not sure about new bern in June. Do know they start heading back down the Roanoke River and back out to the sound. I've always had more luck on them in the fall in New Bern.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about new bern in June. Do know they start heading back down the Roanoke River and back out to the sound. I've always had more luck on them in the fall in New Bern.
Roanoke would be quite a haul for me. New Bern is less than 2 hrs but doable. Definitely looking for something within driving distance. Cape Fear River is closest but not sure if striper are there in catchable #'s during June.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Striper are in New Bern in June. However not the monsters you may catch at Cape Cod. Also you can't keep any in June. Stripers do not do real well after a fight in warm/hot water so release them quick!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I be will just down from there at oak island, for a couple of days. I was considering taking the yaks. Pm me if you want to try to get together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why Stripers? If I was in wilmington in June with a kayak I would target reds
I'm beginning to realize that is probably my best option. I have stripers on the brain. LOL It's just that we've been planning a June kayak trip to Cape Cod for 2 yrs. The stars lined up and the schedule cleared and it's in the budget. Then stars went haywire for everybody else including my wife. Now I don't my partner or a fishing partner.:( Wife said I should just go alone to Cape Cod but I wouldn't feel right going w/ out her. It's a special place that she's never experienced. Fishing in June is top notch. Never done it from a kayak so I just had my hopes up that's all. so it sounds like I'm gonna go see my Step Dad and fish NC. Reds are fun too so I guess I'll experience NC Reds in June from a kayak. Another 1st! Anytime your fishing and not working is still a good day IMHO. Thanks rob

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I mean red fish & flounder , they are not stripers and personally I wouldn't pass the salt for a hit miss freshwater trip that time of year . now Weldon stripers in a yak sounds fun .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts