NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about 6 months in to kayak fishing and I love the freedom that I have now to explore new bodies of water! I've spent a lot of time at Lake Davidson, and the biggest fish so far is a 6 lber that I caught in March. Since then, nothing over 4 lbs. Does anyone know anything useful about this lake? I've heard about Lake Cornelius being a hot spot, so does anyone know anything about that lake as well? Or Mountain Island? I've been to Mt. Island a few times when it was cold without much luck, but I really didn't know where to go.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Lake Cornelius and Lake Davidson are essentially arms of Lake Norman, connected by pipes under the interstate. You can't boat from one to the next, but water and fish can move between them.

Lake Norman (and by extension the other two lakes) is dominated by spotted bass in that section of the lake... Maybe 10 to 1 spot to LMB ratio in that part of the lake? Less the further up you get. And spotted bass do not get very large..if the 6lb fish you caught was a spot, it was pretty close to the state record (which will come out of that lake, I'm sure).

While the spots aren't as big as LMB, they generally fight harder.

Prior to the spots being introduced, Lake Norman had a reputation as being the "Dead Sea", or the lake with "Big homes but small fish". So the spots are welcome, IMO. I don't fish the riverine Mountain Island Lake very much, but I understand that spotted bass are the primary species there as well.

If you're looking for trophy sized fish, I'd say try the Yadkin chain. If you're Ok with bass in the 2-5lb range, then Lake Norman and the other two you mentioned are good places to try. I'm not saying that a trophy fish is impossible.... I'm just saying that the odds are way against finding one there.

It's a little easier accessing Davidson Lake... You can launch kayaks from the canoe trail in Davidson or Traco road. I don't think there's a public launch on Cornelius lake, but there are several in communities if you know someone who lives there.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Good summary by Len. I would add that if you are interested in Mt. Island the Hardcore Kayak Boys are the experts on the section down toward Mt. Holley. The Neck Road Access I have fished. Found most of the fish (both spots and largemouth) fishing banks along the main channel. You don't want to do this on a weekend as its a narrow body of water with a lot of boat traffic. There are some cove areas too but not many. I think the main channel is the best summertime (warm water) area due to better oxygen levels. Good place to hit on a dreary day during the week.........like today!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ah, this is a timely thread. I'm headed to Davidson for work next month and was thinking of bringing the yak along. Not looking for whoppers really; just want to get out and enjoy a couple of nice afternoons of fishing. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would you mind telling me where you fished on Lake Davidson? I have fished out there before and didn't catch any decent sized fish.
-Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mountain Island is a fun lake. Try launching out of gar creek launch on latta plantation, lots of great structure and cover there and limited boat traffic as gar creek is really shallow.

If you're interested, Queen City Kayak Bass Fishing is having a tournament out of the Hwy 16 launch on Mtn. Island tomorrow. Look up the trail on facebook or PM me for more info. Most MIL fish are small 10-14" spots but you'll catch a ton of em. Just make sure you've got a shakey head.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Fish lake norman since I was 12. Been to the rip rap along 77 when the lake was 7' low. There are no pipes connecting the lakes! If they were connected the water levels would be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts