NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion as to the better places to launch and fish from a kayak in this area, any advice as to times, tides, etc.? I'm usually looking to catch trout drum and flounder and fish mainly with live bait and gulp shrimp or minnows. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Here's a post with info on the Newport River fishing pier: http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f32/newport-river-access-pier-kayak-canoe-9317.html

good parking and kayak launching permitted, puts you right in the Hwy 70 marshes (adjacent to hwy 70, N&E from the launch), and a mile or so paddle across to the haystacks area (NW from there).

At low tide cruise the interior creeks looking for holes, at high tide fish the grass edges.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The red in my avatar is from the marshes around the corner of the little pier from where you launch. I caught 5 reds that day...it was a blast. Caught them on a flood tide. Used a 1/8 oz plain jig head with a 3'' white gulp swimming mullet.
Hope this helps ya out....let us know how well you do.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply, I will be sure to let you guys know if i do any good. My buddy I'm goin down with is suggesting that we hit up adam's creek and back creek up near Merrimon, I have fished adam's creek from a small dock and had great luck last summer, never from a boat though. Any of yall wet a line up there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts