NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam going to be in OKI the last week of June into the first week of July. Looking to try some ocean fishing in my kayak for the first time. I have a Preception Sport, Prescador 12' that is begging me to land a King or two. also looking to put in at Blue water marina and float around the back side of the island for a bit. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in going out when I take her to the ocean.
Also I have been looking at yupon reef ( looks like it just just over a mile out) has anyone ever taken a Yak out there and if so, how did it go? Thanks in advance guys !

·
Registered
940 Posts
http://www.austinkayak.com/blog/2014/03/6-tips-surf-launching-offshore-kayak-fishing/

just a teaser to get you started.

You may want to take a couple of practice runs out and back to get a feel for it. It is very humbling.. You also need to be prepared. As far as gear goes, less is more- dress to swim/pack to tip.

If there is a group, weather is right, and I can make it down I am interested for sure. keep me in the loop on this.

Here's been my plan for Kings..

Font Slope Screenshot Display device Automotive exterior

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I already plan to go slick a few times.. practice getting out and back in. also everything I take out fits into a milk crate, and is secure ( rods tied off, fish finder tied down) that way if and when I tip will be prepared.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I seriously LOLd at that video, Gremlinsrus. I wish the waves were always like that down here off Fort Fisher and Wrightsville Beach. Most of the time I'm paddling out into some really big waves crashing over me. Dan, when you paddle out, as a wave comes on you ,DO NOT stop paddling. Keep up your forward energy and momentum. Paddle through the wave!

Big thing, Dan, when you paddle in or out, always stay perpendicular to the waves. When you are ready to come back in, don't wait til you're almost in the breakers to straighten up. You have the entire ocean behind you to get the proper entry angle, and stow your rods before entry. Even experienced anglers can have mishaps. Breaking rods is never fun!

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
i learned alot from watching my own first beach launch as with gremlinsrus video make sure you time it and are out far enough to make the hop i was in too close to the beach and never timed anything ;)

<strong><em><font color="#0000cd">[video=youtube;4UL1MSTtBtQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UL1MSTtBtQ[/video]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, I have a question for you guys. I am looking at getting a scupper hole transducer mount or a RAM Transducer arm mount.. what would you guys reccoment.. also anyone have pictures of their fish finder setup. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are definitely fish out at the reef. Summer time isn't prime time to find a king out there, but I don't want to be THAT GUY discouraging you. Its the ocean and anything can happen! There are usually a lot of boats out there, but they are normally pretty tame. You will also probably encounter some sharks too. Bring lots of bottom fishing stuff as there are plenty of goodies down on the bottom too. Here are a couple of photos from the reef.

Water Sky Vertebrate Boat Blue

Water Finger Thigh Wrist Human leg

Water Boat Sky Vertebrate Sports equipment

Be ready for some wind and waves, below is what the conditions were like 30 minutes after I landed my king:

Water Cloud Boat Sky Watercraft

Good luck and stay safe out there. If I can catch fish out there, anyone can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awsome, cant wait to get out there. I still have a few things to figure out for my rig ( how iam gonna store the fish and mounting my transducer) other then that it is pretty much ready. Ready to see what I can find out there.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Go to youtube and type in "30 miles out". They have a bunch of videos, and fish beyond the breakers quite a bit. One technique they use for coming back in is to come back in backwards, allowing the front of the kayak to face the on coming waves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.