NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a kayak fishing trip with my son and a few of his friends the first week in October. We will be staying Sound Side on Topsail, just outside the Surf City limits, approximately 4 miles south of the Swing Bridge by and 6 Miles south of Topsail Inlet by water. Our location on Topsail is opposite Sloop Pointe. Since this will be my first time kayak fishing in coastal waters, any fishing or safety advice will be welcome. Should we invest in some stakeout poles?We plan to target several species Reds, Trout, Speckled and even fall Spots. We have fished the Topsail inlet from the shoreline, but never in a kayak. If you only had 2 days to fish, which areas would you target.

thanks,

Neal

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I love beating the mainland banks there and the creek mouths. You can also hit up the docks on the island side for black and red drum and nice flounder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I thought hitting the docks would be good.

I love beating the mainland banks there and the creek mouths. You can also hit up the docks on the island side for black and red drum and nice flounder.
Thanks, I thought hitting the docks would be good, also the creek channels.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Depending on the weather at that time and baitfish movement, I'd say paddle to skinny water since you'll be on the kayaks. Look for drum feeding in the shallows and if you accidentally scare a group away, then leave and come back later on a changing tide. Like swampin said its hard to beat the docks, they'll have all target species but definitely flounder in Oct..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts