NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to NC and also new to Kayak fishing. I was wondering where might be a good place to go and fish and also where there might be a good kayak store. Thanks for your time and help.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I think Wellcraft Dave might could fill you in on a couple of ponds on the Army base. The Lumber River, Waccamaw River, N.E. Cape Fear River, and Black River are all to your south and south east. They would be on my Short List for weekend excursions from Pope AFB. There is a steam along the north boundry of the base that should have some nice cats in it. I can't tell you much about the Cape Fear just to the east other than it has some large cats in it. Flatheads are in it in large numbers. The other streams I listed are all blackwater rivers and most have some pretty nice sandbars to enjoy. AL

·
Registered
341 Posts
Big Osh,

There is a great fishing spot on base near Simmons Air Base. The pond is named Texas Pond and is very fishy looking. There is an access point where you can put in a kayak just to the right hand side of the dam.

You are very near the Little River where there can be some good fishing. If you put a boat in, be careful of the area around the waste treatment plant at Pope Field.

As for kayak dealers, I tend to go to REI or Great Outdoor Provision company. There are, doubtless, retailers around Fayetteville.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Welcome to the state and to the sport. I think you'll like both a lot. Where do you live? I am back and forth between Greenville and Wilmington. I prefer to do my fishing in Wilmington around the Fort Fisher area. The reds are there year round.

I work at an outdoor store (who will remain nameless until I ask NCAngler about his guidelines on that sort of thing) where I outfit kayaks for fishing.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Osh,
Check the Hunting and Fishing center on Mckellar's Road. You can buy your post license there and get a map of the fishing lakes on Fort Bragg. I bought my kayak at Pro Canoe in Greensboro, The Great Outdoor Provision is a great place to shop in Raleigh. There's a place that just opened in Fayetteville called Tarheel Fish and Game on Raeford by the Harris Teeter. They don't have boats yet, but I understand that they're on the way. Also, check out Lake Rim which is on Old Raeford road.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The "pro canoe" in Raleigh has become "Get:Outdoors", they've got a Greensboro location too. Of the large retailers here in the Raleigh area, Provision Co seems to have the best inventory, REI second, Dick's a distant third.

Lefty

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help!

Thanks to all that replied. I live here on Pope AFB. I bought my Kayak from Get out doors store in Greenboro. Those guy's where the best. I didn't feel presured into buying my Yak. ( Heritage Red Fish ). I am going to take my oldest boy this friday to do some fishing on Rim lake. I will have to try some of the other places that you all have mentioned. again thank you for you time and help.:)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Big Osh, that was Little River that I was refering to as a stream on the north side of the base. I am not sure what it does out your way but it is basically the northern boundry of the Army base. It feeds into the Cape Fear River. AL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.