NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a place to take the kayak out in the Goldsboro area when the river is too high. I have been to Durham's Lake in Dudley and the amount of muck and growth throughout the entire pond is aggravating. Anybody have any ideas?
I was thinking about making the drive to Buckhorn, but it is a little too far after work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Wiggins Mill would likely be less of a drive since it is straight up the freeway; probably in half an hour you would be on the water. 2$ a boat. I paddled it a few weeks ago when everything (including Contentnea flowing into and out of it) was up and it was still a good paddle IMO and not as muddy as I expected from the flow. Some good open areas and some back waters to explore.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help! Don't want to start a new thread for this since it wasn't spectacular but I caught a couple shad and lost a 2ish pound bass in a creek off the Neuse today. Both shad on a pink jig with a white grub. The bass bit a bright orangey pink spoon. All of the bites came within 10-15 minutes. Nothing else for the next 45 min so I called it a day. The paddle back upstream was just tough enough to be a little bit of a workout. I am really enjoying the kayak!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've thought about a float from the Little River to the ramp at 117 on the Neuse but I'm not sure where to put in.
There used to be several mill ponds in the Goldsboro/Kinston area and the Trent river with its tributaries would provide endless opportunities for kayaking. I frequent the Goldsboro area as we have a house there and also been looking for some opportunities. I usually go to the Contentnea when the Admiral lets me off :). It does seem that when the river is too high other options are few unless you can get into Walnut Creek or Sleepy Creek or somewhere private like that.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've thought about a float from the Little River to the ramp at 117 on the Neuse but I'm not sure where to put in.
There used to be several mill ponds in the Goldsboro/Kinston area and the Trent river with its tributaries would provide endless opportunities for kayaking. I frequent the Goldsboro area as we have a house there and also been looking for some opportunities. I usually go to the Contentnea when the Admiral lets me off :). It does seem that when the river is too high other options are few unless you can get into Walnut Creek or Sleepy Creek or somewhere private like that.
the best place to put in is right under the hwy70w bridge.. Its a nice float for there to 117. right by advanced auto

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Went out on the river yesterday. Paddled down to a point (that I didn't realize you could walk to) and got out on the bank. Caught a decent hickory and lost a big white shad right at the bank. The guy next to me caught 4, including a big white and a big hickory. Cannot wait to go back out today!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FishingRythe,
Maybe there will a be a shad or 2 left when you get here. I'd be glad to show you the little I know. There might also be a few stripers in the river (this is my first spring here. Those are guesses). We aren't very far from inshore fishing if that is more your speed. Once you hit 5 posts and can send private messages, shoot me a PM. I'll try to help you with all of the Goldsboro related stuff I can. Welcome to Eastern NC and to NCAngler!

Broc

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am all about striper fishing, that is one species I love to target down here, they taste great and put up an amazing fight. I have seen numerous post about shad fishing, I have never targeted those or even heard they where a fish to go after. Shad to me is bait fish I catch in a cast net and for use in ocean fishing, so that will be a unique experience.

I am up for any type of fishing, river, stream, pond, lake, ocean you name it I am game for it. I have been hitting up Google earth to get a lay of the land and started to research some areas to go ocean fishing in. I am getting more excited about leaving TX and coming to NC, this is going to be a completely new environment to explore.

I will drop you a PM in a few more post to chit chat with you about the local area. I am going to be out here for at least 4 years so I am going to work to get a good group of anglers to fish with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like to play around on google maps and look for the Blue on the map. There's a few small ponds but nothing great. And you have to find a way to get into them. Bear Creek has 4 ponds, Wiggins Mill has some real good fishing, Buckhorn is great too. Tar River Reservoir is really good. Lake Wilson & Silver Lake aren't too bad. They have some big fish! I gave up on all the little ponds and tend to venture out and try new things every chance I get. Raleigh is my favorite. Shearon Harris Reservoir 50% of the fish are over 5lbs from what I hear from a recent survey. Jordan Lake (hard to fish in my opinion). Lake Crabtree, Lake Wheeler, Lake Benson, Lake Johnson, Falls Lake, Bass Lake, Sunset Lake to name a few. Take some weekend trips and head out to Greensboro & Charlotte or up north to VA when you get chances. Theres soo many places out there, you just have to wake up a couple hours earlier to get there. and getting up to go fishing is a lot easier than getting up to go to work!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Williams millpond is over between seven springs and mt olive on hwy 55. it is fish by permit only- $50 a year. good for kayaking and small johnboats, it holds some nice bass and perch along with pike and I caught a fat bowfin earlier this year. I was wondering how Durham's was, I saw it on google and had thought about going there. I have been wanting to hit buckhorn but I haven't made it over there yet, been seeing some pics up here of some nice chubs coming out of there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wiggins Mill would likely be less of a drive since it is straight up the freeway; probably in half an hour you would be on the water. 2$ a boat. I paddled it a few weeks ago when everything (including Contentnea flowing into and out of it) was up and it was still a good paddle IMO and not as muddy as I expected from the flow. Some good open areas and some back waters to explore.
do they have a boat ramp at wiggins?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wiggins does have a ramp. $2 to launch. I've been 4 times. One bass around 4lbs twice and nada the other 2 times.
Durham lake isn't great, but it's the easiest to get to from Goldsboro. I have caught a few small bass and a jack or two. There is grass and or/muck EVERYWHERE. $5 to launch

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wiggins does have a ramp. $2 to launch. I've been 4 times. One bass around 4lbs twice and nada the other 2 times.
Durham lake isn't great, but it's the easiest to get to from Goldsboro. I have caught a few small bass and a jack or two. There is grass and or/muck EVERYWHERE. $5 to launch
I've heard that wiggins is loaded with gar. as far as it is for me to drive to wiggins I think I would just go ahead and go to buckhorn. I am actually thinking about going Monday morning around 9am when I get off. i'm having to use my johnboat right now because I took my kayak back, didn't like the sit in model so I am waiting for them to call me and let me know they got the sit on top model in that I am wanting.

·
Registered
748 Posts
So fb just reminded me that a year ago this week I was at tulls mill catching a 6 and a few 4s. Think I will try to get on that again soon. They were 1oz spinnerbait and frog fish. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
So fb just reminded me that a year ago this week I was at tulls mill catching a 6 and a few 4s. Think I will try to get on that again soon. They were 1oz spinnerbait and frog fish. :D
I was there last Friday, I think (my days are running together), water was up in the woods and I only had one bite, pulled the trigger a little to early and missed. when the water drops down it is fun fishing in there. I pretty much stick to soft plastics in there, something with some purple in it usually works good.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.