NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all....

i plan on purchasing a Kayak for Bass fishing Small Lakes and Rivers very soon. I'm definitely in the market for a SOT yak. I was leaning towards the Jackson Models (Coosa or Cuda 12) and the Old Town Predator 13. I like the idea of having the ability to stand up while making casts. Does anyone have experience with these Yaks...Pros or Cons...are there any other models that I can look at as well ???

also, I'm in the Raleigh area, are there any Outdoor Stores besides BPS, Field n Stream, and Dicks that I can visit and test Yaks???

thx

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Have fun with your search. If your not in a hurry at the moment the fishing show and boat show are due here in Raleigh soon.

The local Jackson and Hobie dealer is Great Outdoor Provision. They have a good selection or can order the color you desire. I purchased my Big Rig from their stock.

Between the two Jacksons you have listed. The Coosa bow is rounded more making it a little easier to manage in tight quarters. The Cuda will track better in open areas like lakes because it's bow line is more pointed.

I would not recommend the Big Rig for tight river/creeks. You can stand and cast from it great but it is basically a wide Cuda.

Both your selections boast the ability to stand. I have talked to people that do stand; however, I can't say that they fish allot that way. I know it's a great feature for when nature calls and for calm water.

If you plan to fish I would look into the angler versions like the Cousa HD as it has some built-ins like rod holders, accessory tracks and such.

Search for the different models on youtube. They are a number of walk through videos for each kayak out there. I wanted stability and I got the Big Rig. Once I am fully comfortable with myself and it I will consider a cuda. In wind and waves it will paddle much better than my BR.

mikeski

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I'm not in the Raleigh area, but if those stores are your only choices, you won't be buying a Jackson. None of them sell Jackson.

Do you have a Great Outdoor Provision or a get outdoors? I think they are in Raleigh.

If you're looking at the Predator.... and you want a stand up kayak.... Take a look at the NuCanoe Frontier. Similar weight, but much more open, more comfortable for standing, and more stable than any other kayak on your list. I paddle one and love it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
There is a GOPC -- Great Outdoors Provision Company --in Raleigh ( I think the chain started here) but there is not a Get Outdoors! here. Only one of them. GOPC does have Jackson kayaks. Paddle Creek is closed down (at least for retail- they still run rentals on the Neuse).

If you are looking for new, I'd wait until Spring and go to a GOPC tryout event- they run every few weeks at Lake Crabtree. Can try most of them out. I think about the only line they don't carry is Native.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I was looking at the Predator and the Coosa HD. Ended up scoring a closeout WS Ride from Hook1 for many hundreds less. You wouldn't be able to try before you buy but it's a very popular boat with lots of video reviews on the web.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I originally bought the Jackson Big Tuna. Super stable boat but a beast to load by myself and said enough of that. I downsized to a 2014 Coosa (Regular). I love it! It weighs about forty pounds less and is just as stable and easier to maneuver. For what you are describing the Coosa would be great. I would like to look at the Coosa HD sometime. I don't really like the fact that it is a bigger boat but I do like some of the new features it has. Oh, btw I do stand and bass fish out of my Coosa! What part of the Raleigh area you in? I am near Wake Forest. Great Outdoor Provision in Chapel Hill is where my Coosa came from. Raleigh didn't have one in stock at the time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't think that you can go wrong with any of those. For standing up I would probably stay with one of the Jackson Kayaks. If you aren't wanting to wait until spring it wouldn't be a bad idea looking at Craigslist. I know there have been some Coosas and some Cudas on there recently if you don't want to pay full price. There is a Get Outdoors in Greensboro if you don't mind traveling a little bit, and supposedly they have a great selection and I know they have test yaks sometimes (not sure about winter though).

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
from the areas that you describe, I would recommend the Nucanoe Frontier as well. A little heavier that most and a little slower than most. But agile in moving water with a decent ability to track well, and you not only stand you can probably walk around.

Darrell

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got a Jackson Cuda 14 from great outdoor provision company in Raleigh 2 years ago. I don't know if they still do it but at that time I got mine they gave me a discount on all kayak accessories in the store for the first year after I purchased the kayak, they also are really helpful about anything you need help with, they even helped me load it up. I would buy from them again with out thinking twice. I would also buy another Jackson with out hesitating too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you're looking for a SOT and SUP take a look at the Native Versa Board. I have a Native Slayer 14.5 and just recently purchased a Versa Board. I buy 99.9% of my stuff from Get Outdoors in GBoro

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
The Slayer is a great boat, it has a really comfortable seat and is noticeable faster than my Nucanoe. But if your not going far and in no hurry the Nucanoe is a still a good choice. I use the Nucanoe for moving water, creeks, rivers etc. and the Slayer at the lake and when I get a chance to fish at Bay River. If your out this way they also have the Nucanoes at Outdoor Supply, or if I can I will meet you at the landing and you can fish off of both of mine.

Darrell

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If your going out to Bay River and other like places fairly often. I suggest you think hard on acquiring a standard width fishing kayak and not any of the super stable wide bodies. I have one and it is noticeably slower and more to paddle in wind and some chop.

If I add a hand full of long weekends at the shore I will surely be looking for a new or second kayak. My wife has a Jackson Cruise which they make angler version of or a Cousa HD or Cuda 12. I do like the lawn chair seat.

mikeski

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.