NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I saw a group of kayakers on Falls lake, at night, that had red/green lights place on the back/front of there vessels. Where might I be able to find these lights? Also, is it legal to paddle at night without these? Thanks

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
A good place to check out and is in Raleigh is http://www.customdynamics.com/
Met this guy probably 10 years ago when he was strictly internet sales doing some electrical work for him.
I left with some LED samples. Bought a bunch of stuff from him since.

Priced reasonable and plenty of choices whether it's marine or under his motorcycle lighting.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I think these are overpriced, but pretty cool:
http://www.baitsnake.com/

I know the point of them is attracting bait fish, but it will also make you pretty visible.

EDIT - I think you will still need to have a flashlight handy to be legal.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
U can see better paddling without lights ....but bring lights....boats and kayaks at nite can be very dangerous...quickly...

Reactions: ChltBnks

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Per Coastguard requirement only a bright readily accessible flashlight is required for a kayak at night, except in foul weather.
It is advised however to run the normal lighting configuration like that of a power boats.

I think why it is this way is that a kayaker could hear as well as see other vessels and signal his position with his light.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you want to go all the way you can get battery powered LED navigation lights
http://www.westmarine.com/search?text=portable+navigation+light
I have incandescent versions I used on a small sailboat.
I have a 5 ft pvc flagpole with an LED light mounted on top. Like JLeePhoto, I fly the pole during the day and added the light for night use. Hate to admit I've never actually been out at night in my kayak. This is the time of year for it though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think the light/flag is particular important on weekend summer afternoons when storms roll in. All the yahoos with their overloaded boats haul butt for the hill and can't see us floaters on right at the waterline.
If you don't want to drop the $$$ on a Visipole, should be easy enough to DIY. I'd probably get a little triple A flashlight with one of those diffuser cones on the head that will fit into a 3/4" piece of PVC. Epoxy the light to the top and epoxy a short section of pool noodle on the bottom before jamming it into a rod holder.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I talked to a guy that configured a dollar store pathway light. leave it out during the day and it will last a good six or so hours after dark. It's bright enough to be seen, has 360 coverage and doesn't blind you. take an extra battery just in case. Be safe, be seen.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I talked to a guy that configured a dollar store pathway light. leave it out during the day and it will last a good six or so hours after dark. It's bright enough to be seen, has 360 coverage and doesn't blind you. take an extra battery just in case. Be safe, be seen.
I like this idea a lot. I think I might make a PVC flag pole with one on top. Sit it in a holder and forget about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts