NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey sorry if this has already been answered but im new to kayak fishing and i was trying to find out what safety equipment you have to have. I KNOW that you have to have a life jacket more along the lines of whistle, flare, ect. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Also most dams require you to wear a pfd within a few hundred yards.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Since the question has been brought up, what are the requirements for coastal waters, I have heard signal mirrors, flares, etc.? and what areas are covered. What about for a boat?

Thanks
Darrell

·
Registered
459 Posts
I hate to be a thread bumper, but dbeam's exact question just came up in conversation at work. I read on Great Outdoor's website that flares are required in Coast Guard waters. Is this true and what constitutes CG water?
I am planning on fishing Queen's Creek or Bear Island (maybe Morehead, who knows) this weekend and don't want to get a ticket!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I feel like flares and a satellite phone, if not legally required, would be a good idea on open saltwater. Too much can go wrong out there.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I am pretty sure Io will NEVER need a flare from my yak, if I did I couldn't get it out of the hatch unless the water was shallow enough and dig it out while standing on the ground.

I guess I should actually send the question to Marine resources to see if we could get a good answer on what it Coast Guard waters.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Thanks Mikeski,

So it looks to me like, Albemarle Sound, and Pamlico Sound are USCG waters, but what about Bogue Sound and the waters behind Surf City and Topsail?

Darrell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.