NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looking for a kayak for my fishing hobby. Mainly freshwater ponds and lakes but i would also like to explore some rivers and even some marshes or sounds on occasion. Iv been looking at a pelican pursuit kayak at gander mountain. I also looked at some oldtowns. Any one have any input about these? Being a college student the budget is tough so im looking to spend about 300. I was also considering the kayak in this sites classifieds section. Seems like a good deal but the gas for the trip out there will easily add another $50 being that the cost of gas is so high. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My guess is other than Gander there aren't any other kayak dealers in your area? Ones that might actually have used or demo boats? If you cant afford anything else, and you cant wait to find a used one in classified here or elsewhere, then a Pelican might be your only choice. Compared to others it certainly doesn't stack up well. With many things, and kayaks are no different, those that are lower priced are lower for a reason. From those who have owned them, they have commented about quality of the material and the lack of stability, along with poor tracking. But compared to having no kayak, it could be a good option.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
One thing I'd done was to use eBay's "advanced search" to restrict a search to within 100 miles of my zip code. Had to put some work into search terms, though, to avoid all the "fluff" accessories... here's my most-recent rendition...

kayak -glasses -shirt -shirts

You could also keep an eye on craigslist...

As with most things, time pressure and bargains don't usually go together... The more patience you've got, the more likely you are to find a great bargain.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
The observer sometimes will have some boats and kayaks but not many times. Might try the carolina trader. Not sure what they have in there. Ebay is always an idea. My guess is that an inflatable would be a cheap alternative also. And like in my other thread, Dick's will be having sales in the next few weeks on their last year models.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Kayakin' Kelley got an inflatable one time - a gentle breeze blew him all over the lake. Way too much surface area above the water, way too little "grip" on the water.. It was like paddling a balloon.

His was a Sea Eagle -- not sure if any of the others ride any lower...

You might consider whether a small canoe might do what you need it to... if it's narrow enough, you could still paddle it with a kayak paddle, if you wanted to...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Kayakin' Kelley got an inflatable one time - a gentle breeze blew him all over the lake. Way too much surface area above the water, way too little "grip" on the water.. It was like paddling a balloon.

His was a Sea Eagle -- not sure if any of the others ride any lower...

You might consider whether a small canoe might do what you need it to... if it's narrow enough, you could still paddle it with a kayak paddle, if you wanted to...
Yep, paddling a sail got old real fast. :(
It sure was stable though, as I found out when I started moving all the weight I could to the very tip of the bow while I was on the water.

Kelley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.