NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
There's one in our own classifieds section (link)- it'll be the right one at the right price for somebody! (straps must have forgotten:))

In Fayetteville, Tarheel Fish & Game carries Hobies. I've never seen the Fayetteville Gander Mtn but the Greensboro store carries a bunch of kayaks.

In Wilmington there's Cape Fear Kayaks - full service local paddle shop.

Around Raleigh we've got a Paddle Creek (another full service local/independent paddle shop), and a couple each of chain stores Great Outdoors and REI. Not sure if those chains have Linden-area stores.

kayakfishingstuff.com is the internet sales & selection leader. Many many people report great results from calling their retail shop and talking through their choice with the staff up there. I haven't bought any boats from them but have done fine with accessories.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am not an expert by any measure, however I would recomend going to a demo day somewhere. Many stores will start having them soon.
I was going to pick one model which is a great one, however after a demo day I found that one was totaly wrong for me. but other model perfect. the spec's don;t tell the hole story. Just my .02

·
Registered
608 Posts
Fire Shark made a great point. What is right for one person, might not be right for you. Or what you think you want, after paddling you might not enjoy. There are plenty of choices today for kayaks built for fishing, and even those that can double as a leisure kayak for just paddling. Although it is ideal to paddle models first, some time that is not reality. But at least put together a list of what is most important to you and ask questions. Whether it be at a kayak dealer or on this forum. If you are just looking to have a kayak to get started searching for used kayaks on the internet is a good place but also call up kayak dealers to ask if they have anything. Some times they have trades or demos they can sell you.

Good luck in your search, if you have any thoughts about what your looking for in a kayak, post them and I am sure you can get some good information.

·
Registered
268 Posts
you didn't say where you're located. Get Outdoors in Greensboro and Appomattox River Company in Farmville, Va. are the two places I would check. I bought our kayaks at Appomattox river co. He had some demo boats and was clearing inventory for new models and made me a good offer. I had been looking on-line and at Gander, cabella, and Bass pro along with every outfitter I could find. I knew what they cost before I made the big decision. Get outdoors has weekend outings for customers to try the boats. I think they're having one this coming weekend. E-mail them and ask to get on their mailing list. The more you look at boats and talk to people who have experience with kayaks, the better. Be sure to understand the difference between a fishing kayak and one that's more used for white water. Stability and tracking are very important in a fishing boat...so you're usually talking about a 12-16' boat. The tradeoff is weight and maneuverability. Remember that adding rod holders and other accessories is easy. You'll pay a lot more for a tricked out boat. Take your time, it's a lot of money...to me anyway.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Dick's should be having their annual sale soon. They sell last year's models for a pretty reasonable price. Mom and stepfather got one last year each for a good price.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
you didn't say where you're located.
He's in Linden, NC, which is somewhere in the Smithfield/Dunn/Fayetteville area.

As an aside, you can go to almost anybody's user profile and see their zip code to get a general idea of where they're from. (There are a handful of early members who got registered before zip was required, but its pretty universal). Can't vouch for typos, moves & intentional misdirection though...

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Yeah. Linden is a just a bit down the road from where I live in Fayetteville. Nice small town. That's why I mentioned Dick's. Gander is right down the street from there also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.