NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone has had this problem, but my 14ft. kayak does not have room to fit in my garage. Currently it is parked where my car belongs, I know....priorities. I have looked into hanging it from the ceiling and found 2 options. There is a 100 or 200 pound bike hoist that I feel should work, or the Harken hoist system (too expensive) :eek: that works. the problem is the ceiling in my garage is 12 ft, and both hoists have a maximum of 8 ft hoist. Has anyone encountered this problem? I have not purchased the system yet, but will go with the bike hoist. I was thinking of adding rope to the pulley system in order to compensate for the differentce, but am unsure. I could also add straps to the point of contact where the pulley hooks are. This would hang the kayak lower, but i am scared the rope would not be able to tie off in the garage. Thank you for any help. :confused:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I went the other direction -- down instead of up. I built the rack pictured below and stowed the kayak on-edge in the crawlspace. (At least thats what the plan was. My car's getting cold these days just like most folks.)

My dad used to store a bunch of stuff hoisted up the ceiling, but with the garage-door opener hardware up there, I haven't been convinced that I've got enough clear square-footage.

·
Registered
267 Posts
What type of wall space do you have? I hung mine on the wall. I took to fairly large wall anchors ( eye bolt ), Two pieces of 5 ft rope and two carabeaner. I tied one end of the rope to the eye bolt that stick out of the wall, the other end has the carabeaner tied to it. I then loop the rope around the Yak so that the bottom sits flat against the the wall. I then take the carabeaner and attach it to the eye bolt. I will try and get some pic of it tomorrow. I hope this will help.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you are going the ceiling route, you can pickup pulleys and small cord (rope) at the hardware store. To help things out keep in mind the general rule of if a pulley does not move it is a change of direction, if pulley moves it provides mechanical advantage.
Also remember to have fastners of proper strength ie: if if load of kayak is 50 lbs. and you use a change of direction pulley in the ceiling that pulley and it's anchor point will be subject to a force of 100 lbs. min. hope this helps. I have been told many times that when someone asks what time it is they don't want to know how to build the clock.:D

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
There is an alternative here which probably only I would think of-- Store your kayak on top of your vehicle along with some emergency fishing equipment inside. This way, when those beautiful spring days come along and you have to get off from work early due to illness, you won't have to go home to pick up anything -- head straight to the fishing hole. :D

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank everyone for their input. I have decided to go w/ a pulley system. I got a bike hoist and basically bought all the pieces that mimic the bike hoist and support 200 lbs, as the bike hoist only supports 50. I will try that. As far as the height difference, I bought 100ft of rope that will support the 68 lb kayak weight. I plan on placing a padded 2x4 with rope attached that will lead to a hook @ the bottom of the pulley, so the kayak can be lifted straight up straight up upside down on the 2x4's creating a stable platform for the kayak to rest. I will be using a single pulley system attached to an eye bolt and J bolts anchored to a 2x4 in the ceiling. I will let you know if it fails, and come back for more ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.