NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a kayak for the first time. I live in Emerald Isle. Would use it to fish the coastal waters here and also back home in Lake Tillery. Been a bass fisherman all my life, new to saltwater and obviously to kayak fishing. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Welcome aboard X. Not exactly sure what type kayak you're looking to buy but while in Academy Sports today they had a few on clearance. I do not know enough about kayaks to know what good pricing is so you're on your own :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@pgarick- where is Academy sports located? And thanks guys! Look forward to learning a lot from the site!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Welcome!

Big question up front since you are in EI - are you thinking about paddling through the surf sometimes? If so, I would look at the Ocean Kayak Trident and similar boats.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I started kayak fishing, I had to get one for my wife, too. Unfortunately she liked the top of the line, at the time, OCEAN KAYAK, best fishing model (cant recall the model). It has been used less than 10 times, and other than an inch of dust, it is near brand new. If interested in it, send me a pm. I can assure your, this was top of line in 2004, probably still is. It is yellow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@optimystic- I don't plan on going thought the surf. Planning on staying inside the islands.
@jcinnb- roger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@jcinnb- For some reason it won't allow me to use pm

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
As your registration welcome email indicated, new members are placed in a "Newbie" category and their first 4-5 posts are automatically placed in moderation and they have no access to Private Messages. Once 4-5 posts have been made and approved the member is moved into the "Angler Member" category. We do this to fight registration SPAM. Since implementing this registration system for new members we've had no SPAM problems in our online angler community.

So welcome aboard and just be patient with us on your first 4-5 posts. Moderators are volunteers and we're not online all the time so we'll approve the posts as quickly as possible. One caveat, of course is that posts must meet our "family-friendly" guidelines and we do not allow free advertising. Other than that posts are approved within a matter of minutes or hours, not days. :)

@jcinnb- For some reason it won't allow me to use pm

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Welcome aboard!

You'll find some good info here on some of the older posts, and a lot of veteran kayakers who have good insight regarding selecting a kayak. Lots of good brands out there. I'd definitely pick a sit on top....12' at least...I'd suggest 14 since you are in some pretty open water in sections of the sound.. If you can get it with a rudder that would be an asset on open water..especially on windy days...to help it track better. Last time I paddled at EI...there was storm moving in and wind was picking up...rudder made tracking and staying on a straight line course much easier and efficient. Also check the suggested capacity vs. your weight and gear to be carried.

And, look at the weight of the yak compared to how you will transport. Often loading and transporting turns out to be a bigger challenge than expected...for new yak owners.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome! These days there are a ton of really good choices out there, both new and used. Do you have a price range you're looking at?

Personally, I have a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 and like it a lot. It's pretty fast and tracks well, standing is a hard-earned skill though (don't practice in the shallows....). I've heard very good things about Jackson's Cuda, and like OptiMystic said the Trident is a very nice boat I hear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This may be a stupid question, but are there live well options for kayaks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have seen/ used a five gallon bucket with an aerator, but mostly use a minnow bucket tied to yak when fishing, in the yak during transit.
Seems like a lot of "fixes" for kayak rigging are just creative fixes

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a kayak for the first time. I live in Emerald Isle. Would use it to fish the coastal waters here and also back home in Lake Tillery. Been a bass fisherman all my life, new to saltwater and obviously to kayak fishing. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

My first kayak fishing experience was EI. We vacation there every year. This year we rented kayaks and took them out at Cedar St. Paddled out the bridge hitting some islands on the way. I was surface fishing for drum. I didn't hook anything, but lot of chasers. I was hooked. Just picked up my first kayak, got a crazy sweet deal off of Craigslist. I will be taking it with me when we go next summer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts