NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at taking our yaks to Maine this summer. Even in my truck I just can't see a way to get the 2 yaks and gear and groceries into the truck and bed and then have room for people. So I am looking at alternative ways to transport them.

I really do not want to put them on a bed rack. It's more loading and unloading than anything else. So I am looking at a trailer.

Does anyone have any experience with Right-On Trailers? http://www.rightontrailer.com/ It's Tye Southerlands choice on 30milesout.

Thoughts and other pointers to good, less expensive is good also.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Nice looking trailers, but I agree with Drop about converting a utility trailer unless your sure of not needing it for any other reason.

DR has a good point about tire size as well. Back in the day lots of campers, boat trailers and such had 8 and 10 inch tires but highway speeds were less with stops more often.

I have 12 inch tires on my utility/kayak trailer not ideal but as tall as I can go without cutting off the welds of the factory fenders, and trying to find rims that would fit the trailer. it is not that much lower than the 13s on my boat trailer and the weights are much less. The taller your tires the fewer rpms on the trailer to match the speed of the vehicle. lower RPMs will take some of the stress off of the bearings but with the low weight of the load you should be fine with 12s. Be sure to check/replace the bearings if you get a used trailer. The best thing about yak trailers is that you usually aren't going to be putting them in the water.

Darrell

BTW I haven't forgotten (except for when I am there) about checking out the old entertainment center in storage at Mom's

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The downside to larger tires is it winds up increasing spring rate because everything is larger. What you wind up with is a 2000 or more pound capacity trailer running with a coupla hundred pounds on it which isn't ideal for the cargo.

Ever notice how rough an empty trailer rides particularly on a bad road or when it hits a bump? It's because there isn't enough weight to compress the springs or make the springs do what springs are supposed to do. If it was a 2000 pound trailer with a 1000 pounds of cargo it would ride much different.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
A simple analogy using a human.
I have a screwed up back. I commute 65 miles one way to work. I can not drive a Honda Civic or even a Malibu. I have to drive larger heavier vehicles that ride much better. Heavier springs with a heavier vehicle.

On the other side of the coin. A Corvette is sprung pretty stiff.
A Cadillac isn't. As the human cargo I wouldn't survive a 12 hour trip in the Vette unscathed. You would have to peel me out of the seat upon arrival. The Cadillac on the other hand would be a much different story. I'd be in great shape.

A kayak isn't going to have back problems but it still has to absorb whatever ride you feed to it. Even the plastic fleet.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting thought drum runner. I see that with and empty and full bed in my truck. Also, with a bed I really do not need a utility trailer. I just need a trailer to hold two yaks and some gear. Rolling weight would be lower with the the Right-on or similar rack also.

The Right-on Multisport Rack trailer max load is 300lbs. My kayaks come in at about 150 lbs. That would allow a couple bikes and 100lbs of gear and strapping.

I know some of you are trailering yaks. Wacha using??

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Using an old Galvanized boat trailer with 12 inch wheels: about 100 pounds of added weight from making the bed I would guess the springs/axle to be around 1000 pound rating, or possible a little less. It bought originally with a 1964 Larson boat.

Darrell

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw a number of the boat trailer conversions on craigs. If I went that way I believe I would like to get one in the raw and build what I want. I got a buddy with a welder. Would just need to verify the trailer load rating meets my needs.

I do like that idea. I have to look at components and prices. Price for the Right-On with options and shipping is about a grand. I wonder what I could build one for.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
It may not be the best place to get parts for a build or modification. But they usually have a good selection of parts at Northern Tool. The last time I built one from scratch the owner had to take it to the Highway Patrol station to get an officer to OK it for a title, Getting a titled trailer and modifying to suit, would eliminate this.

The most important thing about making a trailer is making sure that the spring hangers on the axle are the same distance from the end of the tongue. It isn't that hard but I would guess that you can find something to work with for less money than buying parts.

SunDrop checked into doing some trailer building he may have a better source for parts.

Darrell

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More thinking going on.

I was considering a rack above the bottom kayak. I really do not need a rack. I can build a few separators and clam shell the things on the trailer. That would get rid of some drag.

Another thing about a boat trailer. Parts are everywhere....

mikeski

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 12' galvanized jet ski trailer w/12" wheels that I modified for kayaks. We have 2 yaks, mine and the wife but can haul up to 4 with a detachable aluminum rack that I added which sits across the bunks. They were so difficult lifting and securing to top of my SUV I got this trailer while back.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kewl, the more I think about it the more I like an old boat trailer. All the stuff is already there for yak support. You can move the runners so they line up with the scupper holes for better support.

mikeski

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.