NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stumbled on a small 8 foot trailer just laying around my neighbors house. The best part is his wife wants gone, so its free. I was thinking about turning it into kayak hauler. Has any of yall built built a kayak hauler. Any advice would be great. Ive got a ride 135 and a molken 14 that would be hauled most of the time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope so too. Im gonna start tearing into it after the wedding. Hopefully frame is still good enough to use.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Title? As someone who was ticketed driving an unregistered trailer, know that getting a title for one that hasn't been registered will cost you a bunch of time and probably $100.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
We can give it a good once over before the wedding, with the Moken, the slayer, and the 16 ft Ultimate it may work better with a tongue extension. It would probably make it easier to back as well.
The ones with the storage boxes mounted above and between the yaks are nice. Or if the floor is salvageable we could do it like mine with room for storage or a 5th boat underneath.

Darrell

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We can give it a good once over before the wedding, with the Moken, the slayer, and the 16 ft Ultimate it may work better with a tongue extension. It would probably make it easier to back as well.
The ones with the storage boxes mounted above and between the yaks are nice. Or if the floor is salvageable we could do it like mine with room for storage or a 5th boat underneath.

Darrell
i was thinking that a tongue extension will be best. If i can remember correct the boards are rotten so i was thinking either replace with new board or put sheet metal floor on it. Ive got a old truck toolbox for the some storage then put a box for rods on a side.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Id like to try but for the Sportage to be towable i would need to put a hitch on it. which i dont think would be a problem

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good luck with your build, they can be a lot of fun!
I have converted several utility trailers to kayak trailers over the years. Tongue extensions, softer suspension modification, tire and rim swaps, welding fabrication of kayak racks. All while keeping the budget in mind so costs do not get out of control.

I will not bog down this thread with photos. However, I have a couple albums on my CoachKen profile showing completed trailer conversions, feel free to check them out and ask any questions.

Best to learn by others mistakes, wish I had... and I should of..., you can never do enough research or ask too many questions. This forum has plenty of DIY support.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Darrell - I just looked at the trailer in the light of day. Its a metal floor 10 foot, old motorcycle trailer with wench and wooden sides. So i think were gonna be exceeding the sportage before mods are made. The tongue is a single bar, not A framed so can be extended very easy.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the trailer I had posted about was rusted in half so i had to rethink. I found a 18 foot v haul fiberglass boat that was rotten for 150$. I sold the motor and steering components for 100$. So yesterday after getting skunked duck hunting I started working on the my new boat trailer. Got it stripped and the surface rust removed. I put deck boards on the back 10 foot. Thinking about expanded metal on the v nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.