NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All....... Sorry I am leaning away from fishing posts but busy putting together my kayak setup (which includes currently searching for a vehicle / I have a Mustang and that's not a viable transporter ;keeping that though because its fast) :)

Just curious what others use to move their kayaks around the area......... Type of vehicle (truck, SUV, Subaru Outback type)......... Method (roof rack, trailer, bed extender)........... Thanks for any input and mainly just helping me to keep the wheels turning.................

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I use a pickup with a standard length bed=no problems. The hype now is the crew cab trucks with the shortened beds; use a bed extender and it'll work like a dream with a yak ($150 New) . The roof racks will hold a yak through a tornado if you get a decent kayak hauling type attachment. A friend of mine has a Wrangler and says it works great for his yak.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Honda civic. yakima rack. I use a hullraiser to carry a kayak, but normally I've just got the standards bars transporting canoes. I got this rack set used on craigslist for ~$120.

If you have a truck, wademaster's advice is solid. Just throw it in the back and lash it down. If you have a vehicle with rails (running front-to-back), the yakima railgrabber setup is very simple. These pop up on CL often too. I have one of those on my wife's Odyssey. Hullraisers also show up on CL, usually $50 or so.

The taller the vehicle, the harder and longer it takes to load. I love my civic!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Q-tower setups, just like on my civic, are "universal". You just need to get the mustang specific Q clips and you're good to go. Mustang would work fine. You could also entertain a small utility trailer and hitch setup with your stang. I've seen some very lightweight trailer setups for yaks/canoes pulled by regular cars in lieu of trucks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have an Old Town Loon 138 (13' 8"). I've hauled it on the roof racks of a Subaru Outback and a Honda Pilot. The Pilot proved to be a little more of a challange to load due to the height and my lack of (I'm 5'7") but it was doable. I've also hauled it the bed of a compact pickup and a 1/2 ton pickup with the tailgate down and the yak sticking out the back. That has all worked fine.

Eventually I'm going to buy a single jet ski trailer and build a simple rack system to haul multiple yaks when my kids get big enough to need their own. Those tiny jet ski trailers are so light that you don't notice you're pullling them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
F250, Q - towers with 2 sets of Mako Saddles on roof. Outdoors with 2 sets of Hurley Rollers near the tailgate. Allows me to keep tool box in the bed and still haul both mountain bikes. Carries two NW Slayers...no problem

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use my 2010 supercab f150 with a bed extender and it does fine with my cuda 14 on it, just not the best when has prices are high lol. If you are shopping for a car I'd suggest the subaru cross trek xv they're about $21,000 new with awd and you get 25/33 mpg...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Unless you just want to buy a 2nd vehicle no need to spend for another one for hauling a kayak or small boats. Mustang can pull a trailer all day... E- trailer sells a hidden hitch for them. But if you do, I suggest a small pickup, everyone needs a truck, they are just handy as heck to have around.

musthaul.jpg

·
Registered
869 Posts
Unless you just want to buy a 2nd vehicle no need to spend for another one for hauling a kayak or small boats. Mustang can pull a trailer all day... E- trailer sells a hidden hitch for them. But if you do, I suggest a small pickup, everyone needs a truck, they are just handy as heck to have around.

View attachment 62599
x2 on the trailer. Very few places I can't take a trailer. But I have a truck too and use both pretty regular.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm new to yak toting, but I've gotten my 12' kayak where I've needed to go pretty easily on my ion with a system similar to what FF suggested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnzk1VOJa0

Got everything I needed on amazon for ~$40. Easy to use, even for a small guy like me with a heavy yak like mine. I think I'll just need to take the trips a little bit slower and be sure to use common sense. I think it'd work on a mustang.

Edit: Unless it's a soft top, of course! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback........ Great pics, videos and ideas......... I have purchased a 2001 Volvo 70 Cross Country AWD. Got a good deal and vehicle only has 136,000 miles. This looks like it will be perfect for kayak, fishing equipment, bikes etc.......... Will be scoping out tie downs and such but that cool video from cmkearney looks like a great idea. Kayak will be here in 2 weeks and I'm ready to go............................. The Mustang is now going off the road as a daily driver and continue mods to make it faster :D............ Thanks again and this site really has been super helpful........

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but you better be saving up for some expensive transmission and electrical problems with that Volvo. Not trying to burst any bubbles but you need to know.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
A trailer. After a hard day fishing, the last thing I want to do is heave a boat on the roof of a car and tie it down. Alot of options with a trailer as well including rod and gear storage capabilities so you aren't stuffing those things in a car for it to get bent or broken.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts