NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a fishing kayak to use on places like the New river, Catawba river, and Watauga. What models, brands, material there made of, length, weight capacity, sit on top or sit down in, and any other things you can tell me. Only to be used on day trips in summer.
I was thing of a sit on top, but I am not sure that would be what I need.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
What a question.....

First of all to the title question: Yes....

You'll find many brands, lengths and weight capacities to choose from. All those need to be catered to YOUR needs, nobody else's.....

My situation: Perception Pescador 12ft....does beautifully in any water type I've put it into....rivers/lakes/ponds....350lb capacity (I think)....it's also a sit on top....

You can spend more or less than this one will cost you....shopping for used ones usually turns up some bargains as well.....

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yup, keep an eye on Craigslist for a good deal on a used one. I've had a Native Manta Ray 12 and 14 sit on top that I was very happy with. The 14 paddled easier and tracked better. Had rudders on both. Great for controlling your drift and make paddling more efficient. I also had a Native Ultimate. Very stable, ton of space, and very comfortable for a day on the water.

That said, for bad weather and longer trips, the 14 foot sit on top. For long days and comfort, the Ultimate.

Like most things, there is no perfect boat for everything or everybody.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Like most things, there is no perfect boat for everything or everybody.
He is right, that is the case on just about every class of boat from kayak to yacht, different strokes for different folks. Before you jump on the first thing that comes along, it might be a good idea to do alot of research and consider what features you want and what will fit your needs the best. Otherwise you will spend alot of money on a boat you may not be happy with once the novelty wears off, in the long run, that ends up costing more than taking your time and doing it right the first time. See if you can get up with some guys or a dealer and try out some different models.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Me personally I have kinda fallen in love with the hybrid class like the Native Ultimate or Jackson Kilroy. However I will be building a boat shortly instead of buying one. That way I can be sure to have what I want. Look into it. Building a boat is not as difficult asnone would think!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts