NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the first winter that I will be fishing in my kayak. Up in Maryland it was just too cold to kayak during the winter months. Anyway, I plan to wear my Orvis flyfishing waders but do not want to wear my spiked wading boots in the kayak. I have thought about getting some neoprene boots from The Great Outdoor Provision Co. to wear over my waders. The boots at KFS are just a bit too expensive for my taste right now. What do you guys use? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
GOPC sells some decent high top NRS booties, im sure you will have to get a really big size to fit over the waders though. i did see some cleated sole wading boots in wal mart last night for around $25 i think the NRS booties are $50 or so

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i use neoprene socks and zip-up neoprene boots. got the boots at REI for $50 -- but notice that campmor has a comparable pair for around $25 (see Campmor: Neosport 7MM Neoprene Boot). this combo works pretty well, even on the coldest days.

thinking about getting a "farmer john" style neoprene suit this winter, but most days it's prob. overkill. looking at a 3mm suit from NRS -- with extra long zipper for "easy entry and relief" (let the reader understand!). see: NRS 3mm Farmer John Wetsuit

fyi -- joel

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have several pair of neoprene wading boots. One pair are low tops from Orvis that I use for wet wading during the summer, but I have used them over my waders during the winter. I have had zip up style from Bass Pro, Cabellas, Orvis and Shimano. They all hold up equally well. The biggest problem is the zippers, they can rust or corrode. And once they get stuck the boot is done. It wears out long before the soles. So make sure it has a nylon zipper rather than metal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.