NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin from Alabama is getting here tomorrow eve and I was previously thinking we would try to paddle out to CALO on Friday. He probably has more open water kayaking experience than I do so no worries there. Basically you want to leave Shell Point on high tide so you can use the current to help you get to the lighthouse. Return on an incoming obviously. The problem is they are forecasting 18mph NE wind for Friday. For those of you that know the area around CALO(Clane, Trigger......) are we crazy for tryin this in the wind forecast?? We will paddle somewhere else if its too sketchy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,196 Posts
Remember you're paddling roughly North/South to/from CALO from harkers. crosswinds from NE or W can really kick up the chop out there. N or S winds would help you going one way, make for tough paddling the other. Once you get past the crossover from shell point to the first spoil island, you'll be close to land if you need to find a beach quickly. just FYI. would love to do the same someday soon.

and send along a "Roll Tide" or "War Eagle" (whichever is most appropriate) to your cuz. I'm originally from LA (lower alabama).

// joel
 

·
Red X Angler
Joined
·
9,007 Posts
Only way I'd do that under those conditions would be head out there on an outgoing, camp and head back at daylight the next morning before the wind gets up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice everybody! For several different reasons my cousin has had a change of plans and won't be up here this weekend.. They also upped the wind forecast for Harkers Island to 17-20 mph NE wind on Friday. My sis is getting married this weekend(the real reason the cuz was coming) and we had a family gathering to be at Friday eve as well so all things considered probably better it didn't work this time anyway... I do want to do this paddle soon tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
Last time I went I paddled from shell point. Its 2.5 miles to the west side of shackleford and about 5.5 to the ocean side through Baerden inlet. I stayed to the right of the islands on the way out following them to the inlet. water stays a bit shallower through there. I camped out for a few days and was a great trip. If you take your yaks on the ferry, its an additional $5 per yak and on a windy day would be well worth it. If the plovers aren't nesting then you can camp right on CALO off the bight.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top