NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last week or so I have been fishing every chance I get (nothing any different than usual I know) except I've left the Intruder at home and have been fishing under paddle power. The windiest and wettest days have actually been the best fishing. Most fish have fell for the yo zuri 3ds minnow, but a few have taken Topwater and 17mr's. The biggest fish of the week so far was around 6-6.5 pounds at a touch over 25 inches. There has also been a few 24-24.5 inch fish in the mix. I have to admit that just getting into kayak fishing it is a whole lot of fun and even the smaller fish seem to pull harder when you're in the plastic boat.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Tony-

For fish that size, you're going to need longer arms!:D Great work and that is an awesome looking spread of Avids & Stradics! We share an appreciation for fine rods, reels & boats! I know the yak is fun, but it's got to be tough to drive away from home with that Intruder in the rear view mirror! I forget--what yak do you have?

Jim

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, it is extremely hard leaving my baby behind, but for the areas I am fishing I would only start the motor when putting her back on the trailer. She is currently receiving her much needed time off after being called upon 2-3 sometimes more times a week for the last couple of years. I do feel as if she is starting to get jealous and for that reason I'll be taking her after some stripers and trout this weekend and quite possibly go see if she can point out a school or two of reds in the skinny water.

I love my Stradics and the Avids are the lightest most sensitive store bought rods I've ever handled. I have a Tarpon 140, I picked it up cheap from a guy in Ocracoke that does rentals. It is a 2013 model and was 1/3 of the retail price.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yep, like yourself, I'm on the boats a great deal, so yakking is an occasional thing for me. I sold a Manta Ray 12 a few years back and have a canoe now for some piedmont and mountain stream runs for smallies and such. I'm always keeping an eye out for another yak deal. This weekend is a perfect example- Wife & I are headed to Wilmington for the weekend and I always debate dragging the boats the long distance for such a short trip. Attempts at hitching a ride in exchange for paying for fuel, sharing knowledge, etc. have produced little to nothing. With a yak, I could just throw it up on top and go and they do definitely have the skinny advantage! Hmmmm............

I'm in complete agreement on the Stradics & Avids! Enuf said!

Hope ya' get 'em this weekend!

Jim

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the yak back in September or October and March was the first time I fished out of it and then again last week. It saw a little use during duck season but not a whole lot. It'll likely be more of a staple on my arsenal from now on due to the fun factor. I can't wait to catch old drum from it. That said, the boat isn't going anywhere. Good luck in hitching a ride down in Wilmington and if you make it this way so long as I'm not working you have a ride with me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts