NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as the title states: what's the best way to overcome turning inside-out? I've gone deep sea fishing before and cruising out was just fine, but when the anchor dropped, so did I, and that was the end of that story. I also sailed across the Chesepeake before, passenger, and did fine until about the halfway point, then just knew it was coming and end of story. I took Fenegrin that time and still, no luck. Dramamine on the deep-sea trip years back, no luck. I really want to go out for big fish in the Gulf Stream but don't want to waste my money and everyone else's time I go with either. I think I'd be fine on a inshore charter but what is it; just experience for some that have no issues, or is it a pre-wired thing and if so how do you best get around it? Thanks in advance folks~ Jon

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I keep ground ginger capsules with me in the ocean -- 100 or so at WallyWorld for under $5, as I recall. I'll take 4-6 on a bad day, and pop a couple more as needed. I will not take Dramamine -- really makes me feel drowsy/lousy. Meclizine [=Bonine] works for some with no bad side effects, but I find ginger just as effective. I think some people have it so bad they have to get prescription scopolamine patches. I think all of us can get motion sickness under the right/wrong conditions. But so far I've found ginger capsules keep me from involuntary chumming. :cool: // joel

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
some prob missed the thread because of the subject line - might help to frame the thread with a better or more obvious title/subject line, e.g., "Solutions for motion sickness," etc.

No thoughts or tips at all? Come on now...

Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I start taking Bonine (less drowsiness than Dramamine) the day before and eat light, non greasy meals and little or no alcohol, and if I do it is beer or wine only in small amounts. I carry Canada dry or a better quality ginger ale (or ginger tablets) with coke, and crackers along with my water and light snacks, nothing oily or heavy. If I start to feel a bit queasy I eat a couple of saltines and drink ginger ale. So far the only time I've ever lost it was on a headboat where the guys beside me had been drinking Bourbon all night and lost it up wind from me. You can guess where the smell and spray went. That pushed me over the edge and I hurled but even after, I drank ginger ale and nibbled on crackers and slowly got past it enough to still enjoy my trip. I have heard taking Ibuprophen before you launch can help too as it keeps down the inner ear swelling that comes as sea sickness begins and I do that too. If it works I don't know but it helps keep you from being so sore at least from being on your feet so much and hopefully doing a lot of "catching". So it's worth a try too. Some people are like my Dad who cant even watch the waves on the beach long without feeling queasy. He gave up trying to go out on a boat years ago unless it's inshore and calm.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Keepin' it all down...

Bonine (not Dramamine that stuff puts you to sleep) the night before a trip and first thing when you wake up in the morning. Carry an extra tablet with you to take halfway through the trip. As soon as you get to where you are going drink a ginger ale and eat a candy bar. Keep food in your stomach and stay hydrated.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My brother used to get extremely sick every time we went out. Don't know why he kept going, but when he got older and started drinking a few beer he did much better. Same way for my son, although bad memories for my son keeps him from taking the chance on all day charters or partyboats.
Normally when folks get sick out there they don't recover 'till they return to shore. Only time I saw it happen was fishing with a friend that got sick. After already being sick, he slipped on a pair of those wristbands with the little marbles that apply wrist pressure, and darn if he didn't recover. If I was prone to being sick, I would try those wrist bands.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Interesting thread. I've only gotten slightly queasy once that I know of, but haven't been out a lot. I've been just outside in other small boats and didn't get sick at all. I went out on 2 family cruises, and one over night tiger cruise (father/son thing) on my son's Navy ship. They wanted all of us to wear the patches on the family cruises. I did not wear one on the tiger cruise, and the ship had a lot of roll during most of that trip, and didn't get sick at all. That one time I got queasy still bothers me, so if I go out on a head boat, I'll take something for it. Not sure how I would do around others who are sick.
Can the patches be bought over the counter?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, thanks a million for all this info. I will pursue each one and see how I do. I'm headed to Carolina Beach Aug8-15th so I might try something inshore and see how it goes then work up from that. Love this site and the information. Still not sure what my limits are for being new, needing every post mod-approved, etc. but I'm here to stay. Thanks a ton. JBG

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The BEST remedy I have used and I have tried them ALL it seems is to go to your doctor and ask for the Transderm Scop patch that fits behind your ear. It is the miracle your looking for. You place it on like a bandaid the night before you go fishing. Works like a charm and has saved many a trip for me. Dramamine. Bonine, Ginger, the wrist pressure straps- waste of money- I tried them. Its well worth the expense to save your fishing trip

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have to agree with the prescription patch if you get really sick. I scuba dive a lot and use the patch and bonine together. I get really sleepy with other stuff. I try to stay up front with fresh air...away from gas fumes..etc The patch is worth it if you get really sick. They sell ginger supplements at the vitamin stores that helps too. Ginger Ale doesn't contain enough. Hope this helps!!

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
I have a friend who uses the Dramamine patches with success. I used the pills when I was on Lake Eerie and they made me feel so terrible. I finally ate something a few hours after being on the water and I felt great. I would've been better off to just have went without taking meds. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ginger does work without a doubt. I bought a ginger inhaler a few years ago. They're actually sold as a morning sickness remedy. Went out on a whale shark tour in Mexico. Started feeling queasy and took a few deep breathes . Felt better almost immediately. If you want a drink you may want to look into ginger beer. No alcohol but alot of real ginger. You can find it near the club soda and such at the Harris teeter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.