NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody familiar with this particular access area? Springtime fishing in early May? Is it a Kayak friendly location, and what could I expect to catch? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anybody familiar with this particular access area? Springtime fishing in early May? Is it a Kayak friendly location, and what could I expect to catch? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Keowee ramp is my favorite at Kerr Scott. It is relatively flat compared to the other ramps and the parking is close. Just on the other side of 268 bridge is Boomer access and they are only a short paddle apart. You can expect to target bass, panfish, or catfish. If you like a little exploration with your fishing then check out the culvert running under 268 near the fishing pier. You can paddle a kayak through to the other side and I think it is kind of a cool experience. I consider this area to be kayak friendly but the boat traffic gets too busy for my taste after about 10 am.

·
Red X Angler
2,167 Posts
Keowee ramp is my favorite at Kerr Scott. It is relatively flat compared to the other ramps and the parking is close. Just on the other side of 268 bridge is Boomer access and they are only a short paddle apart. You can expect to target bass, panfish, or catfish. If you like a little exploration with your fishing then check out the culvert running under 268 near the fishing pier. You can paddle a kayak through to the other side and I think it is kind of a cool experience. I consider this area to be kayak friendly but the boat traffic gets too busy for my taste after about 10 am.
Chris - You can also go to the left from the launch area, paddle back around to the area behind the launch area. There are some very good coves to work back there and some shallower areas as the spawn approaches. I've caught some nice ones back there. Let me know when your going I'd like to join you.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both—great information! My brother and I will be up there the second weekend in May. Weather permitting, we will be fishing while our wives are shopping up in Boone and Blowing Rock. We are thinking about the Keowee launch area one day, and Julian Price Lake the next.

Reactions: SurfRider

·
Red X Angler
3,748 Posts
Chris - You can also go to the left from the launch area, paddle back around to the area behind the launch area. There are some very good coves to work back there and some shallower areas as the spawn approaches. I've caught some nice ones back there. Let me know when your going I'd like to join you.
Hey Raymond... just a shout out. One of these days when I get up there with some actual time to spare I'm still gonna give you a call. I moved to Florida before we ever got to properly fish together. Hope you and your family are well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts