NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked with a guy years ago that fished the Kerr dam tailrace and caught some quite nice stripers. Is there a time of year that this area is good and could anyone give me the lowdown on fishing it? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Might want to check the rules and regulations book and see when the Striper season is and what areas along that stretch of water. Roanoke River system has several areas open and some closed to fishing for striper.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
557 Posts
Not completely sure but I think the stripers there might a warm weather thing. I had a friend from Virginia that used to mount an old corn fork in front of his motor prop and head upstream towards the dam. The corn fork would "bounce" is prop off rocks and prevent damage. Pretty sure he did this in warm weather. But who knows, they might be active now too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey guys I am from that area used to fish it like crazy years ago also, but all is still the same i heard. If memory serves me right the stripers will bite best in early spring when the water warms..The bait used is the same as anywhere else live dipped shad or spoons and bucktail jigs ..........you will know when they start biting good the walkway will fill up fast
I beleive the size limit used to be 20 or 24 inches its been a while.. also good catfishing area as well
Good Luck

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it is still shared waters for licensing but dont know what limits apply there. Are they the same for all of kerr and gaston? I just know that I saw some real nice striper that were caught there a long time ago and thought it may be worth a trip, Takes me about an hour to get there and there is a real nice campground right there also.

·
Registered
328 Posts
According to 2007-2008 regs, Kerr and Gaston have different size/creel limits for stripers. So for the Kerr tailrace, it seems as though the Gaston limits would apply. Right?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
hey guys i used to fish that are and i can tell you all that if you are going to fish that are athen you will need alot of bucktails. i think the least amount that i lost up there in a day was around 25 but it is alot of fun and yea the gaston rules apply to the tailrace of buggs. if you are goint to try to fish live bait then you will want to fish it as close to the dam as possable. but all in all still alot of fun. also you want to watch the army corp to see when they will be running the turbine's so you will have running water.i can tell you from experence that when they turn off the dam well you can kiss all the stripers goodbye.they will go back toward the lake.as long as they are running water then the stripers will be up behind the dam. also the best time i found to go is around the middle of march to the middle of april

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.