NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at Flemingtown around 10 am. Caught these two cats early, drifting by a submerged road in about 20 feet of water. Both hit at the same time! One on chicken liver, the other on a bass minnow. The larger was 3.75 #, the smaller about 2.5 #. Still can't get the crappie to bite. Beautiful sunny day, light wind. Ended the day with a nice sized chain pickerel (22 inches). A little tired of catching them when I'm hoping for a big slab crappie, though they are rather exciting to land on light tackle. Pulled out of the water around 5 pm.

P.S. I'd love it if someone could tell me what species of catfish these are. Still have trouble telling them apart.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Yes channelcat. Forked tail, just a touch muddy looking because of the areas where they have been feeding. Bluecats keep a cleaner look no matter where they feed but channel cat can look similar to mudcat in color but the tail is the difference.

Reactions: fisherjon

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
If you can whack off the head and it fits in a big iron skillet it is the perfect size for eating!

Reactions: fisherjon

·
Registered
841 Posts
Fillets covered in House Autry or Zatarains fish fry, should turn out pretty good.

And yes, they are channel cats. The front one is an easy call, the rear one a touch harder, but the Blues on Kerr are usually blue with white belly, and deeper than the channels in this size.

Channels taste decent to good, most blues I've had tasted excellent.

You can also tell real easy when you fillet them. Blues are white meat (look like cod), channels are semitransparent with a red, brown, or yellow tint to them (look like other freshwater fish meat).

Good job by the way, guess I am going way too far from the ramp looking for fish, may have to drag a kayak up there and hit the docks and the electric tower.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Launched at Flemingtown around 10 am. Caught these two cats early, drifting by a submerged road in about 20 feet of water. Both hit at the same time! One on chicken liver, the other on a bass minnow. The larger was 3.75 #, the smaller about 2.5 #. Still can't get the crappie to bite. Beautiful sunny day, light wind. Ended the day with a nice sized chain pickerel (22 inches). A little tired of catching them when I'm hoping for a big slab crappie, though they are rather exciting to land on light tackle. Pulled out of the water around 5 pm.

P.S. I'd love it if someone could tell me what species of catfish these are. Still have trouble telling them apart.
Look like little blues to me. I don't see any spots on them. They may be a hybrid channel/bullhead.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Based on the website Sundrop mentioned, they were both channel cats. I counted the rays on the anal fin to verify. Also, as Shemstreet mentioned, the meat was tinted. And yes, they were delicious!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.