NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a new tent for my birthday, and the GF and I decided to take the short drive to the Nutbush area campgrounds. We left Saturday morning, I towed my canoe along. We checked in around 11:30am and had the canoe in the water a little after noon.

I attempted to channel my inner Zooker and throw some crankbaits off the boat docks on the eastern creek of the southern nutbush area :) Had one good strike, but being the crankbait novice that I am, it quickly threw the hook. I then decided to slow things down and fish plastics along the banks. Nothing. Very slow day out on the canoe. I did manage to catch one small sunfish by the bridge on an inline spinner. (That bridge was buzzing with activity, there were boats anchored around it all day).

Frustrated with my slow day on the water, I put on a Bass Pro Locust topwater crank at dusk and fished the shorline by my campsite. I knew it was a longshot, but I didn't want to leave bass-less. (Campsite #66 if anybody is interested). I saw a fish surface along a downed tree a couple dozen yards downshore and I invaded the neighboring campsite to fish by the tree. My first cast to the tree resulted in the 2 lb Largemouth attached! I couldn't believe it.

Google map of the action:
Google Maps

Images: 1) Largemouth caught on shoreline 2) Canoe along shore 3) Tent on campsite 4) Tree where the Largemouth was hangin out

Attachments

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Good report! Looks and sounds like you just had an all around good time.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Nice report and pictures D-el.
Gery, that is the vestibule you were looking at......you know the front porch where you put your gear you don't care to leave out in the weather but don't want inside with you while you are sleeping. Shoes,cookstoves and the like. I believe the tent door is zipped closed.;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing d-el,
Did your girlfriend fish with you? Is there a floor to that tent?
Gery
Well, my girlfriend has a fishing license. But only because I got it for her as an extra birthday gift :) She spends most of her time reclined in the front of the canoe reading magazines. Then, on the rare occurrence that I actually catch a fish, she gets excited and casts for ~5 minutes immediately afterwards and gets bored, then goes back to reading magazines :) But she loves going out on the canoe with me, so I have nothing to complain about.

There is indeed a floor to the tent. I know nothing about tents, but this one seems very slick. It is half mesh that allows for nice air flow, and the mesh is easily covered with a rain-fly thingy. It is a Sierra Designs Sirius 3.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice! if I could figure out how to annotate your map, I'd show you some spots.
Was poking around the Google map thing, I have a new hobby now :)
Google Maps is probably my favorite technology of all time. I don't think Google lets you annotate my map, but by all means, create your own! (PM me if you need help with that). I'd love to know a few more spots for bass. I am brand new to bass fishing this year, and I still struggle a lot with identifying potential waters that might hold bass.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice report and pictures D-el.
Gery, that is the vestibule you were looking at......you know the front porch where you put your gear you don't care to leave out in the weather but don't want inside with you while you are sleeping. Shoes,cookstoves and the like. I believe the tent door is zipped closed.;)
Right, the rain-fly acts as a vesibule. Here's a pic of the tent with and without the rain fly:
http://www.sierradesigns.com/images/products/69_1_1_sd.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.