NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going off a similar thread (badin lake this weekend)........

Going to Kerr Lake Memorial weekend (nutbush area). I'll be taking the yaks out for some fishing. Just wondering what lures, rigs or bait would be effective. I mainly plan to target largemouth bass and catfish, and I hear stripers are in there too. Wouldn't mind some of those. But open to any advice. Thanks.

Michael

·
Registered
184 Posts
That part of the lake is the hardest to catch any of those species on, IMHO. I've been fishin that lake for well over 40 yrs an do best on the mid lake creeks and upstream from there. Also, fishin from a yak, Nutbush is very wide open an wind is generally a problem in a larger boat, so...The stripers are just comin back from the rivers an are usually concentrated around the mid-lake area, from Clarksville down to Grassy. The water color is more stained in these upstream areas, as compared to very clear on Nutbush, makin bass easier to catch from a lot shallower waters. and most of the hard core cat men always fish above the bridges at Clarksville for the big cats. Hope this helps! (I guide on this lake, pm me if ya interested)

·
Registered
748 Posts
take this advice for what it is worth but:

for the past 2 months, winning and top 5 weights in bass txs have come from under nutbush bridge. i have been down there and you could fish it in a yak without a lot of issue. there is also a boat ramp on that side of the bridge...

however if it called for a gale or you wanted dirty or skinny water, i would go grassy.

i do love the nutbush arm of kerr though.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
As big as the Nutbush arm of Kerr Lake is, there are plenty of fish there to be caught. Though I will probably run out of there before I make the first cast Saturday AM.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Fish Little Nutbush over Big Nutbush if you're going to be there anyway and in a yak. Don't expect to slay 'em but there's plenty of bass in there and lot of crappie at Steel bridge Marina

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
well, I guess I will never catch another big bag from that area...
The positives and negatives of such a popular forum will forever be at odds with each other. There is something to be said for keeping specifics limited to PM's and emails, I am learning that.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
well, I guess I will never catch another big bag from that area...

Clearly the negatives outweigh the positive iffin' you already had an inkling where they were.

Speaking of Nutbush.................my grandfather was actually there the day the train fell in. No kidding!The Corp took some family land to entomb that engine and freight cars.
He used to run me around in a Wizard 10 HP from Western Auto and I would throw blue Fliptail lizards and catch bass after bass and we never saw another boat on the whole entire lake back then. I preferred killing quail around Mason and Drewry to bass though as the coveys had 30 birds a piece and the bass schools only averaged a dozen or so.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Clearly there are places to catch bass all of the lake. And because people fish differently, even fishing the same areas can yield different results.

Kerr is too big to think anyone fishing any specific area is going to ruin it and it's certainly too popular to think that there are any "secret" spots that no one ever fishes...it just doesn't work that way.

I like Kerr. I used a wacky rigged stick bait in green colors lately with good success.

The Nutbush area is a good one but will probably have a lot of boat traffic this weekend. The county line park area is a good one as is any number of creeks that feed into the main lake. You just need to fish to figure out where they are hanging out within each area. Kerr is a good pattern lake so when you figure out where, it will likely repeat in other areas, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If the water is high enough under the bridge to keep the boaters out of the little Nutbush side you can do a lot of great fishing in all those "fingers". Wacky rigs brought several bags over 16lbs to the weigh in at our last tourney there a few weeks ago. Water was in the bushes and possibly still is. Fish may be pulling back to the points some now too.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great advice guys! I'll see what I can do. Found a guy on craigslist yesterday selling live and frozen shad, I told him I'll be your best customer this weekend.

One other question, what is little nutbush and big nutbush?

Thanks again, leaving after work today. Everyone have a great holiday weekend!

·
Registered
748 Posts
about halfway up nutbush toward goat island and the dam is a point that splits main nutbush arm on the east side from little nutbush arm on the west side, and they run close to parallel. the point made is a park area.

i fish enough tournaments at kerr to know not to provide specifics of anything that may not be common knowledge, but what i posted has spread like wildfire this year. still enough guys disregard that area due to the bridge that it would be pretty favorable to a yak fisherman.

pretty sure sundrop was referring to the area of big nutbush south of nutbush bridge and not little nutbush as there are no bridges to keep boats at bay in that arm.

regardless, at 299' kerr normally proves quite difficult for many a bass angler, as "most" bushes are dry or in 1/2' of water.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
yes I was referring to "inside" the bridge area that is separated by the bridge from the main lake. I thought that was considered little nutbush. My error. The are looks like 3 big fingers on the map, has a campground and is cut off by the bridge from the lake when water is high but the ramp in the campground gives access. I am new to Kerr boating..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did ok over memorial day weekend. Caught a total of 11 fish; bass, perch and catfish. Most fish came from the campsite. Only caught 1 bass off the kayak. All the catfish were a good size (about 20") Was hoping for more bass off the kayak. Thanks again to everyone for there advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.