NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all ,

Glad to say we did much better than last weekend when that horrible wind kicked our butts. Got on the drum real good early this morning in NR. They were taking topwater, mirros and spoons (thanks Allen for that tip!)

Hundreds of slot fish cruising the flats busting on bait. Actually got about ten drum in the boat while I lost another handful at the boat, it was one of those quick release days for me- I'm a pro at the quick release by the way.

Caught my personal best drum at 26 1/2 and it was a fat fat drum I'll tell you! My brother kept his best at around 24". Mirro lure and spoon brought our biggest drum. Some of those schools the spoons were catching every single cast it was a blast! Also got a jack and two nice trout somewhere in 23" or so range, brother measured em and I can't remember... Then at about 830-9 all the action stopped dead... Drum were still chasing, but not much surface blowups any more and they weren't interested in our artificials...

We had done well enough by then that once the heat set in we headed up river for some gar... Sorry "game" fishermen, even when I'm smokin the drum i still love to put a couple Dino's in the boat..

All in all great day, and as Allen said when he called me earlier, if you can't catch fish today- something's wrong with you!!

Saw 3 different gators today, I'm seeing a lot every time I've been out... In the last few years I never saw them so frequently. One of em had to be 8-10ft by the size of his monster head! - and then a **** wakeboarder rode by and I hoped for the best! Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1 and 2 are same fish

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clams, which surprised me a lot, I didn't know they ate em... I thought it was odd finding what I thought were clamshell pieces in one of their stomachs... Then the other had a full clam in his

I also noticed the drum we were chasing were constantly spitting mud clouds out as they were cruising the flats...

Now I've never gotten into schools so thick and been able to watch them for so long so I'm not sure if that's a common practice or not... The bait was doing the same thing, sitting in tight balls on the bottom then once they got spooked they'd all scatter and spit mud clouds out

Reactions: BigE818

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Yeah they jump to try to get the clam shells out.;)

ETA: nice drum btw
Ha! That's hilarious! Where do you come up with this stuff! Priceless.
On a more pertinent note, most of the drum I've caught had tiny seed class in their stomachs. I had trouble identifying them initially. They were maybe 1/2" wide.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Some great catches for sure, congrats on a great day on the water.

I have caught catfish with loads of clams in their stomachs. Guess there isn't much difference fro a red. Food is food and you go for what is easy, tasty and filling.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Drum have a set of crushers at the back of their throats for crushing shells.
Try not to get your fingers caught in them. Made that mistake once, pre circle hooks.

Capt. Breadman, is the man. ........ ICM
Me too, with an old drum that swallowed a circle. It was barbless and I removed it with easy but those crushers hurt! If you tickle his tongue he'll relax the tension long enough for you to get your finger back...

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Capt. Breadman, is the man. ........ ICM
Or so it certainly seems so at Ncangler.com

I had a neighbor casting for bait from the dock as I paddled back. He complained because he was bringing in too many pin fish. I told him a lot of drum are caught on pin fish. He said his "buddy" told him that drum don't hit pin fish because they don't like getting punctured by the pin fish. I just said give them a try because if drum eat whole blue crab then a pinkish isn't going to bother them.
Anyone ever get a finger down the throat of a flounder. Shreds

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.