NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out the is morning with two friends trolling for kings. We met at the dock at 6 am and didn't have to go far for bait. In fact we didn't even leave the dock as the menhaden swam right by the boat, I threw the net on them and we loaded up. We had to cull them as some were small but there were some nice 7 inch ones in there too. One more cast and we were ready to head out.

We had heard the beach bite was strong the day before so we headed out of the inlet and started to troll around the Topsail ledges. Apparently half of the folks in the Jolly Mon KMT heard the same thing and decided to come up here to fish. We saw over 35 boats. We hooked a few small fish and boated a ten pounder.

The bite being slow and the fish being small, we headed off shore about 14 miles. We found large schools of bait busting the surface (being chased) and trolled around them. We also jigged up some of the greenies they were chasing and used a mix of pogies and greenies in our spread. We hooked up several nice fish including a smoker that weighed in at 32 pounds! Then the bite died.

We came back to Topsail ledge and finished the day off with a 6.2 pound Spanish!

That smoker was the fattest King I have ever seen! I've caught longer and heavier but not a fatter one - he ate well for sure!

Nice day of fishing for sure!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah - I left out part of the story..... Two citation size fish in one day will do that (one king & one Spanish)

When the 32 pounder hit & started his reel smoking run (over 300 yards), we see a big Bull Dolphin jump out of the water. As it was near where our bait would have been, we thought we had hooked a big bull.

As time went on and we fought this fish, we were puzzled because he didn't fight like a dolphin - that was the only jump he made and there was no sideways, frazzled runs. It was only after we got him to the boat the first time that we knew he was a king. Best we can figure, when he started his run he scared up a dolphin that happened to be in the area and that is what we saw jump.

Oh yeah - Dave - I meant to have a picture taken of a live menhaden held up behind that 32 pounder but I forgot until we had dumped all the bait....;):D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip! I've only done that kind of fishing once. I was 13 and it was my Birthday in Key West with my folks. I caught an 18lb bonito and my Mom landed a nice King. LONGGGG time ago. LOL

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Now that the menhaden are coming back I think we might see some more of those fat kings. Take another look at that 10lber. He looks pretty thick to me. Hopefully we will start seeing a lot more spanish like the monster in the pic.... I'm going to post some ribbonfish tips in the Captains Club Forum shortly. That way you don't get everybody using up the pogy population for bait. LOL .... I hope You can catch one that big or bigger during the next tournament. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Would be nice trollin one or two of them spanish macs! ;)

Was very tempted to get a pack of them Williamson spanish baits..., but figured I got plenty of 4 1/2 in. bird spanish rigs.. might need to get out an fish up some bait..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mike, yer killin me! If ya don't stop talking and posting about these big fish, I ain't gonna make it down. I'm just gonna bust right here at the computer.:D Can ya at least save a few lips for me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.