NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to start king fishing and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good rod and reel combo, have two kids, so looking at getting three combo sets, so any advice would be appreciated.

I do have a older penn 209 that i have used to pull in some 30-40lb catfish,would this be a good reel for kingfish?

thanks

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Actually it really is impossible for someone who doesn't know you to pick out a reel that is best for you. If you are on a budget it would be a bad idea to run out and lay down a weeks pay for one and unless you are a pro athelete or make that kind of money it is possible. If money is tight a used us made Penn Jigmaster in great shape can be had for around $30. That is better than going out and buying a new one. The new ones are made in China. Anything bigger will be added weight and money. I used to use squidders when I first got started. Then I saw a Newell 338 f in a show case and I decided to try it. So far it is my favorite. Down in the Florida panhandle the old favorites were mitchell 402 and penn 706 spinning reels. Nowdays you see a lot of 7500ss and 8500 ss spinning reels. You hardly ever see one of those guys using a 9500ss. If the amount of amberjack and tarpon were to make a comeback I would suggest that you buy something a little larger. Think about getting a small light reel that you can use for drum fishing etc. I would also suggest spooling it with yozuri hybrid line and using their 15lb test. you will get a lot more yardage and still have plenty of reserve strength. Go to their site and they have a chart that explains why.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks to everyone
this site is great.
looking at mostly fishing off of the pier.

had never tried to catch any kingfish before, went with my brother and his family the first of the week, and my brother helped us with his kingfish gear to get set up and my son actually caught his first kingfish, now we are hooked.
I do a lot of deer hunting, and after sitting for about 8 hours on Tuesday, myself and my son was getting a little bored and thinking about calling it a day, then, wham , a 17lb, 7oz king hit and it went crazy.
Everyone on the pier was at the end, it was a natural high. Took about 15 minutes to get it in.
The reel that my brother had that my son used to catch the king on was a shimano tl25.
It seemed like a great reel.
I have two son's who are now hooked, so looking at getting them as well as myself kingfish gear, so I am looking at gear for three folks, so wanting to make sure I get as good a reel as possible without breaking the bank.
Its sorta funny, my son's reminded me on the way home that I have a 1200 dollar browing bow, and a browning 7mag stainlees steel A-bolt rife as well as stainless steel knight muzzle loader, so they laughed when I told them that it was going to be expensive to buy three kingfish outfits.

take care

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Decided on the shimano tln25, that is what my brother has and seems to be a good reel.

Now, what would be a good rod to put these on?
A lot of folks I have talked to seem to thinkt that the ugly stick is the best bet.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Shakespeare makes an ugly stick for about every application. Nowdays they are made in china but I think they will work just fine. Even though I fully trusted the older ones for the new ones just make sure you take the time to fully check it out for workmanship related problems before you put your money down. You need to do that with any of them.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
A good match in the Ugly Stick line is the USC-2270 if you think you might ever put braid on them. Their tiger sticks have stainless eyes and those and braid don't mix to well. They work pretty good for mono as they can't loose an insert. The model # for them is BWC-2201. This is assuming you are going to use 30 lb line. The Standard Big Water series doesn't have a soft enough tip. If you are dropping down to 20lb then go with the 20 lb version of these. I have seen a lot of kings lost over the years by hooks coming out. There are 2 main reasons too much drag on a foul hooked fish and too little drag on a mouth hooked fish to set the hook properly. Too little drag combined with a good head shake or two when the rod doesn't have enough bend to keep the line tight and he's got slack. I think those are the reasons anyway. Appearantly there must be some truth to it or most of your top pro's wouldn't be fishing 15lb and 20lb outfits with real soft tips. Every one of them that I have heard talk about drag settings say to set it at 2 lbs and don't move it until you see that you won't be weighing a fish. Then they like to crank him in and get that line back out and resume fishing. A couple of other things to look out for is bringing a king to the pier green. If he's not played out and he makes for the pilings You will wish you had a faster reel and a longer rod but even then he'd probably win: so try not to bring him in til he's played out if you plan on gaffing him. A less common occurence that sometimes happens but thankfully only rarely is when you are bringing him in, instead of turning away and running they run at you very fast. Again slack line looses fish. Getting your line crossed with someone else usually frays both lines if there is a fish on one of them which means respooling for both parties. One last thing comes to mind: I nearly lost a king one time because I bumped the drag lever while I was trying to duck under a line and backlashed the reel. Fortunately a cool head , a little experience and a lot of luck saved the day. It was too close for comfort though. What ever rods you settle on try to get one that will have a good bend with two pounds of pull but has a fairly powerful but so you can hook and pressure a Tarpon if the chance arises. Good luck to all of you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A good match in the Ugly Stick line is the USC-2270 if you think you might ever put braid on them. Their tiger sticks have stainless eyes and those and braid don't mix to well. They work pretty good for mono as they can't loose an insert. The model # for them is BWC-2201. This is assuming you are going to use 30 lb line. The Standard Big Water series doesn't have a soft enough tip. If you are dropping down to 20lb then go with the 20 lb version of these. I have seen a lot of kings lost over the years by hooks coming out. There are 2 main reasons too much drag on a foul hooked fish and too little drag on a mouth hooked fish to set the hook properly. Too little drag combined with a good head shake or two when the rod doesn't have enough bend to keep the line tight and he's got slack. I think those are the reasons anyway. Appearantly there must be some truth to it or most of your top pro's wouldn't be fishing 15lb and 20lb outfits with real soft tips. Every one of them that I have heard talk about drag settings say to set it at 2 lbs and don't move it until you see that you won't be weighing a fish. Then they like to crank him in and get that line back out and resume fishing. A couple of other things to look out for is bringing a king to the pier green. If he's not played out and he makes for the pilings You will wish you had a faster reel and a longer rod but even then he'd probably win: so try not to bring him in til he's played out if you plan on gaffing him. A less common occurence that sometimes happens but thankfully only rarely is when you are bringing him in, instead of turning away and running they run at you very fast. Again slack line looses fish. Getting your line crossed with someone else usually frays both lines if there is a fish on one of them which means respooling for both parties. One last thing comes to mind: I nearly lost a king one time because I bumped the drag lever while I was trying to duck under a line and backlashed the reel. Fortunately a cool head , a little experience and a lot of luck saved the day. It was too close for comfort though. What ever rods you settle on try to get one that will have a good bend with two pounds of pull but has a fairly powerful but so you can hook and pressure a Tarpon if the chance arises. Good luck to all of you.

thanks alot
have to admit, kingfishing can be addictive.

now if i can just find a good spot to fish for them from the surf and the best time of the year to do it.
take care

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The best place to give kings a shot from land would be the jetty at Ft. Macon. Right about now would be a good time to try it there. A ribbonfish would make a good bait there. 1 ribbon and 1 menhaden and a big bluefish Hmmm. Last week might have been even better. If you knew how many kings have been caught between the jetties and radio island and the size of them you would be itching to give it a shot. I'm suprised you don't hear much about people tarpon fishing right around there at night.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
To tell you the truth it depends on the pier you fish on the rods. if every body leans their anchor rods against the rail a 7' rod is fine but if they put them in holders attached to the rail you will really find an 8' rod a big help in going over them. That is especially true with a fish you are putting pressure on such as a big jack or tarpon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.