NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering most of your time is spent waiting for a king to bite, I had a chance to think about how much of it is luck and how many things I can change or have control of to improve my luck. Two of the biggest things I have control over is how I make up my hook rigs and how far I throw my anchor. I have seen kings caught close to the pier and some caught farther out, but I still aim for maximum distance. One reason, the farther out you throw the better your anchor will(should) stick because of the line angle. I like fishing farther out as well, so another reason I prefer a longer cast.
How you rig up your hooks is the one thing that is totally under your control. I like 3 hooks in the back with the hooks sized to the bait. I try to keep as much wire and extra stuff out of the water as much as I can so I have about 8-10 inches of wire between my hooks and a swivel trying to minimize stuff that could spook a fish.

As far as where on the pier,front or off the side, to me that is mostly luck. Sometimes fishing with the wind direction will work but just as often I have seen fish caught off the other corner despite the wind.
Bait is kinda pot luck as well, sometimes there are plenty of bait fish, sometimes you have to beg for a tiny spot.
I know there are people on here who have put in a few more hours on the planks waiting than I have, what are your thoughts? Is there something you do to improve your odds vs just hoping you get lucky?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Fish some of your trebles in the belly of your bait. Kings do sky baits but a lot of the time the fish won't even exit the water so having at least 2 trebles in the bottom of the bait will improve your hookups a lot. I like running 1 back treble then 1 in the belly and 1 in the anus.
Fish "coffee" or brown colored wire. Stay away from "bright" or shiny wire colors.
Dull brown or dull silver hooks help too.
Fish a bait that's different from the rest. If everyone's fishing a bluefish then run a shad out.

Most importantly, make friends on the pier. It helps pass the time if you've got people to talk to.
Ill add more as I think of them. I'll be on the planks today :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
What kind of rig are you using inline or hair? We fish two in the top and one underneath. A lot of the things I do depend on the conditions and other people on the pier. Everyone can't run a bait far you have to stagger them. Far then short etc etc. sometimes it's better to run a different bait sometimes it's better to stick with the same old producers aka blues or pogeys

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I prefer to cut the Dorsal and Bottom of tail with scissors...doesn't bleed the fish out and causes more iratic swim behavior.
Try it with a huge Pin Fish....U may be Reel surprised.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually will have my 3 hooks tied to a swivel with 3 equal length pieces of wire, I have tried one wire from the swivel to the first hook then the next hook tied to the first hook with the wire interlocking. I caught my kings on the 3 wire rig so that's what I have kept using. I use dark wire and dark hooks, I actually like the hooks better after a day or so's use as they aren't as shiny. I may have to try putting a hook in the belly again, I had a pogy cut in half a couple weeks ago and it missed the hooks I had in it's back. It was a straight bite so I am thinking it was a king I missed.
I had thought about cutting the fins off a baitfish before but never remember when I am actually out there fishing. Have any of yall used a keeper sized spanish as bait?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Smoker king will smash a Spanish but they are delicate baits. You must wet your hands before handling them and you better be running to your rig while yelling for someone to pull it up

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Big 10 4 Riverpirate C.B. Style...Daniel taught me that...One of the best Fisherman I have ever known.
I learned A lot from him and C.B. pier...Fredies mom would let me on at no charge cause I was broke...She's Supercool.
Just hate them darn Signs...tell Cowboy the Guy with the Bad *** silver truck said Hi...He'll know...Ya gonna learn To day.

Attachments

Reactions: riverpirate
1 - 7 of 7 Posts