NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try my hand at king mackerel and need to know what a two rod king rig looks like and how it works. I understand that there is a clothespin involved but know nothing else about it. Any help will be muchly appreciated.

Doc

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The Anchor Rod

Coach I am gonna explain the system as good as I can but you need to spend some time just watching and talking to folks that are actually doing it to really get your real education. First let me say the system was developed to keep your bait in one small area and let everybody fish relatively tangle free. Tangles are one of the major causes of arguments on piers and you want to avoid them. OK...you use 2 rods...an anchor rod and a fighting rod. The anchor rod is used to cast out a weight that will hold its positon in the wind and current no matter how hard your bait tries to pull it elsewhere. Anchor weights vary in size and design. You can use spinning or conventional tackle for your anchor rod. The main thing is to get an anchor in the desired spot as safely and quickly as you can so everybody can relax and go about their buisness. You also need to be capable of getting it at least 75 yds from the pier and further is often better. You should use a shock leader of at least 50 lb test mono to prevent snapping off your weight and possibly killing someone with it. The shock leader should be about twice as long as your rod or more accurately long enough that you can get 3-5 wraps around the spool and still have enough for a fairly long drop between the sinker (or anchor) and your rod tip. The rest of the terminal tackle for the anchor rod is a coastlock swivel and your anchor.the swivel should be 75 lb test to 150 lb test. Use a good ball bearing US made swivel to prevent your anchor from twisting your line on retrieve and prevent breakoffs. Running line on the anchor line is usually 20-30lb test. Now for the fighting rod and the interconnecting hardware I'm going to start another reply as this one is already too long. Al

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
fighting rod

The fighting rod can be a big spinning outfit or a conventional outfit. The reel should be capable of holding at least 300 yards of 20 lb mono and have a very good drag that will stay smooth on those reel emptying runs. On occasion 300yds. might not be enough but should be considered a minimum. (You don't want a bunch of fish swimming around trailing 150 yds of mono.) The rod should have a soft tip and a strong butt so you can keep the slack out of the line at light drag settings yet strong enough to pump up a good fish that you know is well hooked. When the Tarpon are running a 4/0 or bigger reel is very comforting when you see a big tarpon after your bait. Some piers you need a long rod for a fighting rod to be able to clear long anchor rods stood straight up in holders but on piers where the practice is to prop anchor rods on the rail... short rods are ok. Leaders and lengths vary a lot. I would choose 7' of Seven strand 40lb test uncoated wire for that style for a one and only choice. Two 4x strong treble hooks in size 4 is the most popular style regardless of wire size and and type. The "clothespin rig " is used to slide your bait down the line and hold him in the desired area until you get a strike. At the strike the "clothespin" releases the swivel at the top of the leader and you fight the fish unemcumbered of the anchor rig. The clothespin rig (regardless of design) is attached to the anchor line via an easy sliding snap of some type and is usually attached at the other end to the swivel of the mono to leader connection of the fighting rod .... that is also generally the release point.
I hope this helps. AL

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SinkerMan ...

Thanks for the info. I am headed to Kure Beach in a couple of weeks and plan to spend more than a little time on the pier. Thought I'd try my hand at kings if they are running. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Coach

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.