NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[img]http://www.ncangler.com/photopost/data/500/medium/IMAG00101.jpg[/img]
I heard earlier this week that the king bite off Topsail Island had been heating up, so I have been looking forward to going today. Gery and I left around 6 am out of New Topsail Inlet . We had lines in the water by 6:30 and the first bite of the morning within minutes of putting out the spread. We were all smiles and sensed it was going to be a great morning. The first fish came unbuttoned and the second bite was a short strike. Speaking of strikes, we were 0 fer 2 so far............

But then our luck changed and we had a good solid hook up and our first king of the day is in the boat. A few minutes later another lines goes off. Gery is fighting the fish and I'm clearing lines and driving. Then another reel goes to buzzing, we are doubled up! We managed to get both fish to the boat! Wow, we are really stoked now. It's 7:30 and we have 3 kings in the boat! It is slow for a while, a shark gets on and then gets dispatched back into the deep blue. Things are quite for a half hour or so but just as we are thinking the bite has tapered off the long line starts singing, I take it out of the holder and hand to Gery to fight. As soon as I do that, the port medium long line goes to singing so I'm fighting that fish, now we are doubled up. Then the starboard long line goes to singing! We have a triple header going. We ended up getting two of the kings to the boat including our largest of the day, a nice 18 pounder Gery landed.

30 minutes before low tide, the bite just dies. It stayed dead for over an hour. just as we were about to move, we get a strike. This one turns out to be a 28" Spanish Mackerel, sweet! Once we get it in the box and get our spread out, another line goes off. Gery is fighting the fish and I'm positioning the boat when all of a sudden, the boat quits turning. The helm wheel turns but not the motor, feels like the cable is broke inside the steering box. We lose the king about then as well.

I called sea tow and with in 30 or 40 minutes Capt. Doug arrives and gives us a tow back home. He did a great job towing us through the inlet (which has a sand bar all the way across again), hats off to Capt. Doug! We are all smiles though, we have 5 kings and a nice Spanish in the box and a very pleasant day morning of fishing and friendship!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Very nice. Sounds like you had a good day until your boat problems. Hopefully it is a cheap easy fix. I still got to give you back you Bluefin tuna jags. They are sitting here on the shelf.

Tim C

·
Registered
709 Posts
It was a pleasure once again Mike. What a way to start off the new king season. It wasn't just everyone that was catch'n out there today but my capt'n got us on the fish and kept us on them until the steering issue. Great job my friend. Looking forward to sharing the boat with you again real soon.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
wtg mike, I heard some radio chatter yesterday that a few had been caught out of beaufort inlet but I'm not sure where. What was the water temp in your area? Things should be heating up real soon

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great job my friend. Looking forward to sharing the boat with you again real soon.
You are welcome aboard anytime but next time please leave the banana sandwich at home! That's right folks, as we are being towed in, I look up and there is Gery eating a BANANA sandwich on my boat. Urgggg. Got to get a NO BANANAS ALLOWED sign made.......

·
Registered
709 Posts
You are welcome aboard anytime but next time please leave the banana sandwich at home! That's right folks, as we are being towed in, I look up and there is Gery eating a BANANA sandwich on my boat. Urgggg. Got to get a NO BANANAS ALLOWED sign made.......
Hey, it's your boat and if you don't want a banana on your boat then I'll just save em for when I'm out on mine. It sure tasted good! Remember folks we were the only boat out there that really loaded up on the Kings. I bet nobody else had a banana sandwich on their boat!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was out off topsail today about 1000am didnt get a bite i was just wondering what you were trolling with and about how far off the beach you were. Oh yeah we definitley passed you in the inlet getting towed those guys do pretty good with all that traffic in there. At least you didnt go back empty handed congrats on the nice catch.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Man guys, a triple-on... A wonderful problem to have!!! Thanks for a great report Mike. Glad you boys destroyed those kings. As I told you on the phone Brent and I are trolling wiring and circuit issues in my driveway this weekend. Thanks for a great report. Sea Tow is my friend too.

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
PS ... Topsail Angler ... I forgot to thank you for your advice on my electrical issues. You are my data bank bro. :)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was out off topsail today about 1000am didnt get a bite i was just wondering what you were trolling with and about how far off the beach you were. Oh yeah we definitley passed you in the inlet getting towed those guys do pretty good with all that traffic in there. At least you didnt go back empty handed congrats on the nice catch.
We were pulling dead cigar minnows on Bluewater Candy dead bait lures. Blue and chartruese were the hottest skirt colors but we did catch the Spanish on a pearl skirt. We were about a mile off the beach.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cfarmd - the water temp was 73 degrees.

fishbaggery - yeah the bite seemed to just die. A good friend of mine (he was in the 25' Jones Brother skiff) arrived at our location and caught a king right away, that was just before our steering broke. They stayed for another hour after we left (so almost 2 hours) and didn't have another strike. They went back there yesterday to the same place at 6:30 and trolled for almost 2 hours, nothing. They moved off shore and caught one king and a dolphin.

BTW - The banana curse has nothing to do with fishing, it is about boats and ships and dates back to the 1600's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.