NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to go fish here ever since I learned of its existence. I also would like to set up a meet and greet/fishing excursion (working title- "The Great Invasion"). I would like to hear from anyone who has ever fished or camped at the park. Also when would the best time of year to make this trip.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Used to launch there in the summer. We'd catch our limit of monster gray trout jigging stingsilvers by the concrete ships, then go out on Latimer Shoals and catch cobia at slack tide. Never went there on a kayak, though. I'd imagine you'd be fine around the ships. There was a stake net there too that flounder liked to hang around.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW that's some great information thanks! I saw the kayak fishing episode with Kayak kevin and Jim Sammons. Nice to see his page. And seems like the campground would be perfect for a M&G.. Now when is the question

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
It seems kind of pricey, doesn't it?

Fees for launches, fees for fishing, fees for night fishing, fee to enter park, fee for camping

And of course, a VA license fee (While a few NC people get one regularly, most of us don't have this).

I'd have to take a good look at all the costs before I'd attend a M&G up there.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Va non resident boat fees are insane.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems kind of pricey, doesn't it?

Fees for launches, fees for fishing, fees for night fishing, fee to enter park, fee for camping

And of course, a VA license fee (While a few NC people get one regularly, most of us don't have this).

I'd have to take a good look at all the costs before I'd attend a M&G up there.
From how I read it, no fee to fish or launch if you are camping.. The camping fees aren't bad and the outta state temp license would be expected. I do understand the financial concern and will look into it further, especially out of state boat fee etc..

Font Art Rectangle Pattern Close-up

The $24 a night camp fee is normal for even around here. entrance and parking fees are for day use visitors. The only extra fee I see is the $12 tunnel/bridge crossing. If I am wrong please let me know

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
ok after more reading looks like no boat fees : EXEMPTION "A boat registered in another state that's not kept in Virginia for more than 90 consecutive days"

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I might have read it wrong... but it was a ton of different fees listed.

Let us know.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Isn't the $12 fee for the CBBT for a one way trip?
yes $12 cbbt one way and $4 if return is within 24 hrs otherwise $12 each way

Apparently it has gone up to $15

So It would be $24 for campsite, $26 CBBT fees (13 each way off peak), and $15.50 for 5 day non resident SW permit. If you carpooled and shared campsites (recommended) costs could be reduced dramatically..

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Do any of you watch Kayak Kevins Podcasts on YouTube? The last one #29 he talks about kiptopeke state park at about the 45 minute mark. He says the fish really aren't there like they were several years ago. The kid that is with him on that podcast(drew camp) seems to know his stuff about fishing!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.