NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Personally I dont, but yes, offshore fishers use kites for live baiting sails and mahi/dorado.

From shore I would think if the wind is right and you have enough line capacity, I wouldnt see where it wouldnt work... worth a try. Closest I've ever come is ballooning baits out from the beach, and that's a method I use too offshore for getting bait away from the boat but keeping it at the surface.

Give it a shot....

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
CoachKinsey has done it. He put a spool of kite line in one of the rod holders on his beach cart -- over 300 yards, I think... Builds his own kites, too. I'll mention this thread to him next time I see him.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
There is a problem with using that system for live baiting kings and such from the beach. If the wind is light and quartering you might be ok for a day or two. Normally the water gets muddy when the wind blows from onshore. Basically what happens is the wind blows the surface water offshore. That water is replaced with water from the bottom. This sets up a current along the bottom that brings silt and fine sand towards the beach. Most of the time clean water will be out of sight from land after a couple of days of winds favorable to kite fishing. For cobia and drum it might work ok even if the water is muddy but from my experience it seems like even they don't seem to bite well in those conditions.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Lefty is quite right about me kite fishing from shore. I use a simple kite that I found in an old copy of Kite Life (http://www.kitelife.com/kitelines/issues-x/v4-4.pdf). They are easy to build and, when trimmed properly, will pull like mad! To get the line out, I use a downrigger release RC-99 (www.blackmarineproducts.com). Using this setup, you can dance a bait on the surface. Using the method in Kite Life, you can drag a long line with multiple hooks from the kite. I have also used a clothespin release to get bottom rigs outside about 200 yards. Yep, you gotta' have some line on your spool to play this game but with a $99.00 Penn rig from Boater's World spooled with 10-15 pound test mono, you should have no problems.

It is true that the wind has to be right to get offshore and that does have some effect on the clarity of the water. On the other hand, I have had some luck working the back side of the South Brunswick islands, especially around Fort Caswell and near Lockwood Folly inlet. On a good day, I can get a line into the deep water channel behind Fort Caswell. The water drops from 6-8 feet to 42 feet pretty quickly. There can be some amazingly good fishing on that drop line. I've also flown out to the jetty at Masonboro inlet. Can anyone say Spanish on a Clark spoon danced just below the surface.

Don't be put off by nay-sayers. The worst that can happen is that you will have a good day fishing and flying your kite. Experiment and let the rest of us know what you find out. Right now, I'm working on a secondary kite to take a bottom line out, release it, and return to shore to get the next line. More later.

Doc

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That's impressive...sounds fun too

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Back in the good ol days they used to use what was called a sail rig to fish the shallow bays of Texas. Basicaly if was a square piece of foam with a frame built so that a square sail could be mounted on the top and a line attached to the frame. These were somewhere around 24"-30" square the sails were adjustable to allow for a fair measure of directional control. (I'm guessing they were weighted on the bottom to prevent overturning). They would run a trotline baited with small jigs out using this rig and the movement was sufficient to make the jigs very effective for catching trout and reds. If you enjoy fishing a kite or just want to drop a bait somewhere you can't cast to then you might want to expeiement with one of those. I tried to find a link to a picture or plan for buiding one but no luck so far.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The sail line looks like a great idea to me, especially in low traffic areas. I gave a quick glance at the NC regs for trotlines (http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/2007_08_Regulations_Digest.pdf) and don't see anything that would prohibit the use of such ... but don't take my word for it ... I'm certainly no authority on the law.

As for the kites, the ones I use can be tacked by adjusting the bridle and tail attachment points. I have had some success tacking as much as 15 - 20 degrees off wind. I have about 600 yards of 80 pound braided dacron on my kite spool. You fly out 50 yards or so before you ever get to the line release and need additional line to account for the belly in the line allow for the vagaries of the wind. If you are long lining from shore, you are not dependent on your rod and reel's line capability and can actually get pretty far offshore.

Reactions: sandbar

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the links and info guys! These methods sounds like they could be fun projects. I'm thinking I'm in a good location here on BHI 'cause I can usually get the wind on my back somewhere here most all the time, especially the predominant sw winds. Doc, do you know if there are any "clubs" of kite fishermen where I could see some of them fished? Again, thanks for your time and likewise to you sinker man.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sandbar ... I know of no clubs for kite fishing and have not seen anyone else kite fishing from shore when I have been. If you mean Bald Head by BHI, you are in a prime locaton to try a kite. If you can get off the back side of the island, you can fly into some pretty hot holes for trout.

On a good day when the wind is blowing up the river, you can fly toward the tower at Ft. Caswell and drop about half way across. The channel there is DEEP and the edges make for good fishing. Just keep and eye out for that large boat traffic or you may find yourself in either Wilmington or out to sea!

With an offshore breeze, you should be able to longline over the shallows of Frying Pan and maybe entice some flounder your way.

Good luck and let me know how you are doing. Next time I'm headed to Caswell, I'll drop you a note so you can look for my kite off the back side of the island.

Doc

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm happy to see this thread active again. I will be taking some of my kites when I head off to chaperone a church youth trip to Kure Beach next week. If I have the right wind, I'm going to experiment with a dropper rig I have built that will allow me to get bottom rigs out and drop them. The dropper kite then returns to me so I can get another line out. I have dropped several items from the secondary kite with my engineering class at the high school where I teach and have had good success with the drops. Still working on a good sliding mechanism to let the secondary kite ride the primary kite line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
new to kite fishing looking for nc guidance on regulations. I am interested in setting a bottom line with multiple hook. The only thing that seems to apply is recreational commercial gear calling long line a trotline? here is what I have reading.
"Marine Fisheries Commission Sets Gear Limits for Recreational Commercial Gear License "

The Commission passes these rules regarding the RCGL license at a recent business session in Raleigh on Jan. 20-22. The 1997 Fisheries Reform Act created this new license which goes into effect July 1, 1999 at a cost of $35 for state residents and allows recreational fishermen to use limited amounts of commercial gear to harvest fish or seafood for their personal consumption - seafood harvested under this license cannot be sold. Fishermen using the RCGL will be held to recreational size and possession limits, if on a vessel, the number of possession limits allowed is equal to the number of RCGL holders aboard that vessel.

Authorized RCGL Gears (exerpted)
One multiple hook or multiple bait trotline up to 100 feet in length"

see http://www.enr.state.nc.us/newsrels/gillnet.htm

100' wont get beyond the break anyone know the right applicable reg. want to try it out with my children but want to be sure were legal. Please reference sources in your response. thanks for the help.

Fish On

Jeremy

·
Registered
86 Posts
I recently watched a television show called "Hooked" which comes on the National Geographic Channel. This extreme fishermen was Kite Fishing from shore I believe he was Australian based, nonetheless he proceeded to catch very large Snapper and Grouper from shore! I found it to be pretty interesting ok course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried this off the south end of Topsail Island without much luck. The wind generally blows West, so going into the sound was really my only option. I wanted to kite fish to deeper waters in the ocean, but that just wasn't going to happen. I basically just tied on a downrigger release clip to the kite line along with a 2 liter full of sand to keep the kite and bait down in the wind. The idea was that the fish would grab the bait dancing on the top of the water and with enough force to release the clip. The kite can be pulled in by a friend and you get to reel in the fish.

What I learned - you need a kite appropriate for the wind conditions. Mine flew too high. I was able to control the direction of the kite by tying on weight to one side of the kite. The wind never blows exactly where you want it. Also, the downrigger clip was not sensitive enough to be released. Unless JAWS grabbed the bait, I would be reeling in the kite and fishing line at the same time. If I try this again, I'm going to just use a clothes pin. If you are looking just to "get your bait out further" then you simply tug on the fishing line once its out far enough and it should release sending it to the bottom of the channel or ocean.

I also learned that there better not be any boats in the area or you'll snag them and could injure someone. Oh, your family and friends will laugh at you, but that's okay. Even though I would say that my experience was a miserable failure, we actually had fun trying it. We'll be back to Topsail July 31 to August 6th (I know, primetime fishing - not) and I might just have to try it again!

Have fun and let me know if you have any success!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.