NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a fishin' book yesterday while the Falcons were resting and came to the chapter on knots. "Every fisherman should take the time to learn how to tie the various knots listed in the chart below." And it proceeds to list 20 knots and 8 roles and fill in a matrix of which knots are suited for which roles.

Is it really important to know 14 different ways to tie a hook to a line? How do you decide whether to use a World's Fair, Clinch, Palomar, Jansik Special, Snell, Surgeon's End Loop, Dropper Loop, Perfection Loop, King Sling, Uni-Knot, Turtle Knot, Fisherman's Bend, Two-Fold Open End, or Trilene knot to tie a given hook to a given line for a given target species under given conditions?

All this readin' is getting confusing. I need to stop reading and start doing. Whose turn is it to watch my kids? :rolleyes: Oh yeah -- Mine.

("Freshwater Fishing Tips & Techniques", by Gene Kugach, copyright 1997, published by Stackpole Books, Mechanicsburg PA)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Lefty, I have narrowed the list down to just a couple that can get you by in almost all fresh water situations:

1. Clinch knot for attaching line to lure/fly.
2. Surgeons knot for attaching two peices of mono of different sizes quickly.
3. Blood knot same as above minus the quickly, good for making fly fishing leaders.
4. Perfection loop for whenever you need a loop.

These get me by 99% of the time. The only thing I need to add to the list is a knot such as the Ducan loop that allows you to tie to a lure or fly with a loop instead of directly to the lure/fly, I just have not really got around to learning this one yet. For the most part though I would consider the clinch knot and the surgeons knot indispensible. They are both really easy to tie as well, making them good knots while on the water.

Here is a link to some animated knot tyuing instruction from Orvis:
http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html
(I just tried this link and it was not loading quite right, it might be my work computer. I have used it in the past though and it has been about the best instruction I could find for learning new knots.)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
i fly fished for many years the nail knot and blood knot were not mentioned used both of them. uni knot polmar and clinch are what i rather tie now..

zooker

·
Registered
78 Posts
As a Bass fisherman, I tend to use the Palomar, Loop,Trilene and Cinch knots .
I have some good animations of a couple of knots if knew how to attach a .wmv file to a post. That Orvis site was good.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I've found that you will learn them as you need them and forget them when you quit using them. If you tie one fairly often for a few years you will hardly every forget it unless it is truly complex. If you tend to fish for a lot of different saltwater species and make up your own rigs you will over time learn several knots. (And forget 1/2 of them) AL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.