NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Backlash,
Thanks for the info. I haven't been using a leader, just tying the lure directly to the braid. Do you recommend a leader with flurocarbon and what's the purpose of the leader?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Basically, the flourocarbon is my leader. If you were planning to go after something like Spanish or blues then you may want to use a steel leader tied directly to the Flourocarbon. However, I have caught Spanish on a Flouro leader as we discussed with no problem. I just keep an eye on and re tie often.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I guess that I missed the essence of the orginal question. I don't tie the lure directly to braid . Instead I tie a section of flouro to the braid then the lure to the flouro. For tying the lure to the the flouro I use either an Improved Clinch Knot or a loop knot. However . I find myself electing to use the loop knot more often as I believe it adds action to most lures.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I rarely tie a lure directly to the braid. I also use a flurocarbon leader but I attach mine with a a uni to uni knot. It also works great, small enough to go through the rod guides and is easy to tie even at night. In cases were I tie the braid directly onto a swivel (like grouper rigs) I use the trilene knot or improved cinch, I just put a couple extra twists in the knot cause the braid is slippery.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Fished for the first time this weekend using 10 braided and used a clinch knot. Had no problems, but then I didn't catch anything that really put my line to the test.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
For braid to metal (lure eyes, swivels, snaps) I go with palomar. For braid to floro leader I've been trying a knot called the J-knot, which seems to take fewer hands for me to tie than a uni-to-uni. I rarely use the leaders in freshwater tho. Always in the salt, but that's not saying much since I only get to the salt a handful of times a year...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use a palomar knot for everything, you just simply will not come untied or break at the knot ,but i'm also not a big fan of braids nor do i fish for fish where the rig actually requires a leader.The bad thing about braids especially for fish that you have to troll for is that they can see it ,I think thats why most people use the flourocarbon leaders.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I love the way braid casts and sets the hook without stretch. I just have to get my chubby fingers to tie all these fancy new knots I have to learn so I can splice and such..LOL!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
The only knot I can tie is a uni-knot. I have used this not for 30 plus years. Very easy to tie in the dark with a flashlight held in your mouth. Have fished with Berkley Fireline for 10 or 15 years(whenever it came out). To my knowledge I have never had a knot break. When I get hung and break the line it always breaks inside the eye of the grub head and I get back a knot with two very short pieces of line. Never have felt that fish seeing the line was a problem but I only fish for saltwater trout. Do not use any leaders except when I am specifically targeting reds or flounder. I use 6 and 10 pound line with 10 or 20 pound florocarbon line as a leader. NOT FLOROCARBON LEADER MATERIAL. I purchased and used Fireline Crystal last year on one reel. In winter ultra clear water this might be an advantage.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Good info on this thread so I thought I would "thaw it out"..LOL

Good animated sight to assist in teaching/learning knots as well
Grog's Fishing Knots Index

Reactions: Coach D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Used the Albright knot today on some 8lb mono to 17lb braid and could pick my small sand anchor (10 lb.)up and bounce it before the 8lb mono would break. broke once at the knot and the second time at my glove.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.